Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

ford international?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:35 PM
livetokite
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ford international?

a friend of mine ( a ford driver ) said he read somewhere that ford owns/is interenational

is that true?

i was going to reasearch it, but i figured i'd get a quicker, easier answer through you guys, and alot more information.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:40 PM
RAMbunkshus
Rookie
Default RE: ford international?

Ford doesn't own International, but buys diesel engines from them, just as Dodge buys theirs from Cummins.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:44 PM
livetokite
Veteran

so the powerstroke is an international then?

Old 01-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

From what I understand it is an International block and bottom end and then ford engineered the top end....

Could be why they are always so dorked up

Old 01-23-2008, 03:04 PM
RAMbunkshus
Rookie

It's my understanding that the 7.3L Powerjokes were all International. When Ford brought out the 6.0L's, the block and bottom end were still International, but the fuel injection system was Ford's. When the 6.0's started having problems, there was quite a pissing contest as to who was at fault. Ford claimed it was International's problem, and started withholding payment for new purchased engines to offset their warranty costs. International sued, and the court found in favor of International, telling Ford it had to pay up for engines delivered to them, that warranty issues were a whole different matter.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

A few months ago I heard (don't remember the source) that Ford is fed up with Navistar International (PowerJoke builder). Ford is planning to cut ties with NI and begin building their own diesel for light duty trucks. Apparently Ford is designing a new engine from the bottom up, they will build it themselves, and it will be ready in the 2010-2011 time frame.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:24 PM
agargano98
Veteran

i heard somewhere that ford owns a piece of Cummins, is there any truth to that?

Old 01-23-2008, 05:42 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

NO Ford never did own any part of Cummins. At one time Ford owned some of Cummins stock but sold it years ago. Darn ford boys still keep this lie going around and they still wish they had a good CTD in there trucks like we have.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:26 PM
mikebol
Veteran

A very good friend of mine works at the Franklin, Indiana Navistar plant that makes PowerStroke engines for Ford. He's told me repeatedly that the early 6.0L was junk, it was almost entirely Ford's blueprint and poorly designed. They had tons of problems with them and says to avoid them entirely. He did saythat the 6.4L PS is actually proving to be fairly reliable.

Since Cat recently purchased Navistar, I'm not sure Ford can push them around like they used to. But only time will tell.

My buddy drives an old 98' F250 with the 7.3L International, Hewon't part with it for the world.

Mike

Old 01-23-2008, 07:58 PM
KenZ
Veteran

Yes, the 6.0 was built by International, with alot of Ford engineering. As for the warranty lawsuit, it hasn't been fully settled yet. International contends that if Ford kept there hands out of it, there wouldn't have been any warranty issues...maybe, maybe not (total warranty bill for 6.0 is $500,000,000--half a billion dollars). The new 6.4 does seem to be a better motor, but far more technically complicated (possibly more troublesome). Ford is building there own motor, both large and small (half ton), to be available in 2010 I believe. They're International contract goes past that, so for the remaining years of the contract you will have a choice of either motor. Thus we have to make two sets of charge air tubes for both motors to cover about 2 model years until they're contract runs out and they use there own motor exclusively. Sounds like an expensive dicision on Ford's part, but all they're decisions have been expensive lately!...[&:]

Quick Reply: ford international?