Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:34 PM
KAS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration?

Got a question about an issue that has been getting on my nerves for a while.

I have a 2007 2500, quad cab, long bed, CTD, 4-speed auto. The truck is 100% bone stock.

Anyway, heres whats up. I have a resonating, buzzing vibration, that is incredibly annoying. I'm damn near positive its not because of u-joints or the driveline, because it has everything to do with engine RPM & load and nothing to do with speed.

The vibration is at its worst when the TC is locked up, at around 1700 RPMs. This is most noticeable at 60mph, especially if I acclerate from 60mph with no downshift (higher load).

Its also noticeable around 40mph in 3rd gear, because again, thats like 1600 or 1700 RPM, locked up.

Anything above or below the problem zone, RPM & load wise, and its great. Cruising down the freeway at 75? Its smooth as silk. Driving 30mph down town, its great.

Of course its at its worst when towing.

Is this normal? If not, what could it be? I thought of maybe checking to see if the exhaust downpipe was vibrating up against something, or something like that?

Just thought I'd get some input on this before taking it to the dealer.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: vibration?

if I remember correctly, another member here had a similar situation and it turned out to be the torque converter.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:38 PM
gdwrnch33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: vibration?

I HAVE HAD CHEVYS TO DO THE SAME THING AND IT WAS THE TORQUE CONVERTER. IF IT WAS MINE JUST FOR THE HECK OF IT, TO START WITH THE SIMPLE THINGS I WOULD TRY IF ITS A 4X4 I WOULD TAKE OUT THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT FOR A FEW DAYS. CHECK TO MAKE SURE THE EXHAUST PIPE IS NOT TOUCHING THE FRAME ARE BODY ANYWHERE. CHECK YOUR MOTOR MOUNTS AND YOUR TRANS MOUNTS.

Quick Reply: vibration?