Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Flushed the brakes today...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:25 PM
websterdan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flushed the brakes today...

The heat and moisture both play a role in making the fluid turn dark. Make sure if you go syn brake fluid it is compatable with your vehicle. Not all fluids are mixable(even Syn Fluid). I think all DOT3 and DOT 4 is mixable. Dot 5 isn't, unless it's 5.1 (CHECK the Bottle). I'd say do it every 2 years. IMO

Old 01-28-2008, 12:35 PM
websterdan

Suck out the old fluid in the master and refill. Start bleeding on the Right Rear, then the Left Rear, then the Right Front and finally the Left Front and refill.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:23 PM
tonyslaramie
Professional

I made a presure-bleed adaper for mysnap-on bleederfrom a cap I got at the parts department... I just hook it up, put some pressure to it and crack the bleed screws. I'm most worried about the hydraulic valve-block for the ABS getting corroded and the possibility of a stuck valve... just less costly to maintain your equipmentin the long-run. I HATE bleeding brakes manually, it takes two people and a lot of time. I bled mine at the 1-year mark by production date and the fluid was nasty.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:06 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Care to explain the process Steve? How did you flush it out?
I could do a writeup if you guys think it's worth having... going back & taking pics would be easy... also, I made myself a drain bottle where I drilled a hole in the lid for the fill tube. Alot less spillage that way

Old 01-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: tonyslaramie

I made a presure-bleed adaper for mysnap-on bleederfrom a cap I got at the parts department... I just hook it up, put some pressure to it and crack the bleed screws.

I HATE bleeding brakes manually, it takes two people and a lot of time.
Got pics of this contraption?

I too hate bleeding them because I can never find someone handy to pump up the brakes for me.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:31 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

they also have the spring loaded bleed valves that can be used when no one is there to pump...

Old 01-28-2008, 06:57 PM
tonyslaramie
Professional

Mayfair, I don't know how you coaxed me out to the garage with one of these new fang-dangled cameras... My computer nearly pooped it's pants when it first seen the 34MB pictures... Anyway... here's a visual.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Dude you ROCK !!!

I totally get how it works now ( I think ). It looks like you got an spare master cylinder cover, drilled and tapped a hole for a compressor type fitting, threaded it in, and not you have a line hooked up to some sort of ( what looks like ) a lawn sprayer type of device. Is that right? Do you fill the sprayer with brake fluid?

Old 01-28-2008, 11:28 PM
tonyslaramie
Professional

We have a winner!!!!! Yes.... thats exactly whats going on... only the lawn spraying device is a snap-on tool. The reservior cap however... the rubber inside it must be silicone'd or 'right-stuff'd to the cap to block the vent from spraying brake fluid all over your engine comp't... almost happened. Take the lawn-sprayer up to 10-12 psi and go bleedin... piece of cake... literally done in 30 mins.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Mayfair
Legend

COOL !!!

Where can I get me one of those lawn sprayer type of things? How much fluid does it hold? I looks like it holds about a GALLON !!

Quick Reply: Flushed the brakes today...