Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Duramax + cold weather = trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:37 PM
SpLaT
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duramax + cold weather = trouble

With the recent extreme cold weather up north here... seems the duramaxs can't take it. Had to pull Consultants Chev to town was leaking tranny fluid real bad. Once we got to town and the small auto repair shop, the shop owner came out with this ear to ear grin, says to "pull it around back with the others"... we get back there and there was 8 of em 5 of them had cracked trannys others simply blew their tranny coolers apart!! To add salt to the injuries theres a 2 month back order for coolers, hoses and looks like trannies as well! Tempatures have been around the -45F/C and windchills up to -50 and more! I'll take my stock 48re any day over that alli !!!

Old 01-31-2008, 02:28 AM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker
Default RE: Duramax + cold weather = trouble

thats crazy, i thought that was the only thing chevys got going for their diesel trucks was the tranny's?!?!?!

Old 01-31-2008, 04:17 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

must be something in the design of the case to have them split like that...

Old 01-31-2008, 08:21 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Maybe they were made in Brazil along with the 53 block Cummins.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:55 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker

GM has more problems with their trans then most people know about. I know a fellow Dodge owner who worked for a GM dealer here in north IA for a few months doing service work and he has told me that those GM trans also have a lot problems just like we have with the Dodge trans [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 01-31-2008, 05:46 PM
04QC4X4
Captain

ORIGINAL: DBLR

GM has more problems with their trans then most people know about. I know a fellow Dodge owner who worked for a GM dealer here in north IA for a few months doing service work and he has told me that those GM trans also have a lot problems just like we have with the Dodge trans [sm=icon_rofl.gif]
I've heard the same thing from some of my friends that run Duramax's. I will admit that I think GM has finally gotten the engine right. They never have problems with the engines.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:30 PM
BadRam1
Veteran

ORIGINAL: SpLaT

With the recent extreme cold weather up north here... seems the duramaxs can't take it. Had to pull Consultants Chev to town was leaking tranny fluid real bad. Once we got to town and the small auto repair shop, the shop owner came out with this ear to ear grin, says to "pull it around back with the others"... we get back there and there was 8 of em 5 of them had cracked trannys others simply blew their tranny coolers apart!! To add salt to the injuries theres a 2 month back order for coolers, hoses and looks like trannies as well! Tempatures have been around the -45F/C and windchills up to -50 and more! I'll take my stock 48re any day over that alli !!!

My dad's D-max just got out of the shop for that lol.Fortunately, he still has my former '06 Dakota to use while the Chev was being fixed. This actually happened the day after we got back from a 4 day trip to Lake Placid, over 350 miles from where I live. Good thing I insisted on taking the Ram (or maybe not, I wouldn't have minded an extra few days)
This was the 2nd tranny problem he has had with the Allison 1000 this year.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:50 PM
hayman

ORIGINAL: 04QC4X4

ORIGINAL: DBLR

I've heard the same thing from some of my friends that run Duramax's. I will admit that I think GM has finally gotten the engine right. They never have problems with the engines.
i wuoldnt say that i know about three that have injector or pump problems. tow of them were lemon lawed the other one is all most there and it aint even got 10000 on it yet

Quick Reply: Duramax + cold weather = trouble