Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

cooling down turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:09 AM
bpmills
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling down turbo

Just bought a 2008 1ton mega cab dually to haul my new Bighorn 5th wheel which weighs appros 11,000 lbs. I understand that I should cool things down before shutting off the engine, I also understand there is a system that will do this for you after you turn off the key, what is it called, where do you get them, and is it worth doing?
Thank you, Burt

Old 02-10-2008, 01:11 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned
Default RE: cooling down turbo

yes it is worth coolin the turbo off before shut down.

someone else should know what equipment to get.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:16 AM
BC847
Rookie

I run one of these ~ http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...p;autoview=sku

I toasted a relatively new HX35 hybrid running hard to fire& rescue calls and when getting to the station, shut it down and ran. I got about 3000 miles out of it before the bearings got REALLY loose. [:'(]

It can be set to shut down the engine based on any EGT you desire. If, for some reason, it wants to take longer than five minutes, it shuts it down anyway. Should some turd try to take your mess while it's still running, as soon as the brake pedal is touched, the engine shuts down.

Works very well.

Here's the install/operation instructions ~ http://static.summitracing.com/globa...down_timer.pdf

Old 02-10-2008, 05:30 AM
cumminalong

Stand alone turbo timers are pretty cheap. They also come on a lot of the programers / boxes and aftermarket remote start / security systems too.

The one on my Edge works great. Under normal driving, I have it set for 1 minute after key off. If I've been on the highway, unloaded, I'll let it go 2 minutes and if I'm towing, I'll set it for 5 minute. It will adjust up to 10 minutes.

You can set them for time or EGT. If you have a pre-turbo EGT, then use the time feature, as the exhaust cools much faster than the turbo. If you have a post-turbo EGT then use the temp feature and you'll have an accurate reading of the heat soak from the turbo.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

I have a Edge Juice w/Attitude for my 6.7L, and I set the shutdown for 400 deg F. Normally it only takes a few seconds of idling to get down to 400, but if it's in the middle of a regeneration cycle it can take a minute or two.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:28 PM
behindbars

ORIGINAL: Joel_MD

I have a Edge Juice w/Attitude for my 6.7L, and I set the shutdown for 400 deg F. Normally it only takes a few seconds of idling to get down to 400, but if it's in the middle of a regeneration cycle it can take a minute or two.
I have mine set at 300 but I'm a little paranoid after buying a couple of turbos for construction equipment. People look at you kinda funny when you're walk into a store or something leaving your truck running and halfway to the door it shuts off.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:57 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

My truck has teh Silver coded key. will a turbo timer work still?

Old 02-10-2008, 06:03 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: behindbars

I have mine set at 300 but I'm a little paranoid after buying a couple of turbos for construction equipment. People look at you kinda funny when you're walk into a store or something leaving your truck running and halfway to the door it shuts off.
It is a pretty good conversation piece, ain't it???

"Dude, what the hell is wrong with your truck?"

I need to get thecontroller that makes it cough and belch smoke whenever a PS pulls up next to it in a parking lot.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:44 PM
bekim
Professional

Since the turbo bearings are cooled by a water jacket on the new motor, idling until you reach 300°F might take a long time. Even after a hard pull, as little as 1 or 2 minutes is sufficient for cool down. TDR Issue 59 Page 50
Mike
###

Old 02-10-2008, 11:25 PM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I go camping and back my camper in to the site to set it up, it is a good 10 min for me to get the landing gear down and hook up. That is when I let my truck cool down. When I pull my gooseneck with my tractor I do the same thing while unloading the tractor.A timer would be nice but not a must for me. By the time I set up or unload it has had time to cool down.

Quick Reply: cooling down turbo