Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

My invention works

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:11 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My invention works

My little dual pump system saved my butt today. The < 5 PSI alarm went off and the thing flipped over to the backup pump automatically. Thinking that it was a problem with my invention, I flipped the toggle switch to force the Walbro pump to operate, 10 seconds later the truck dies. So I flip the toggle switch over to the backup pump (in tank from Dodge) and the truck fires back up. Luckily I was .5 mile from home so I drove back to the house and tried to figure out what was going on.

At an idle the Walbro would put out 16 PSI. But when you put your foot into it, it would drop to 0. Since the backup pump and primary pump both go through the stock fuel filter, I knew that it wasn't clogged. I checked the in-line fuel filter that I put on the intake of the Walbro pump and sure enough it was full of trash.

Here's where the mystery starts. Where did the trash come from? Due to the high costs of diesel and lack of horse events this time of year, my CTD has been sitting in the garage. When my fuel gelled back in December, I pulled this filter off and it was **** and span clean. I have not bought any diesel and have only driven it 180 miles since the gelled fuel incident. So where did this trash come from in the past 180 miles? The truck has been in the garage with the hood off of it for the past 3 weeks.

Now I've got to drop the tank and make sure there is no more trash in the tank. I'm not too happy about this at all. [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

Old 02-10-2008, 10:19 PM
woligator
Record Breaker
Default RE: My invention works

well u saved ur pump bud,mine aux saved me from walking too but i didnt thinked that since my aux was only going at 40psi of oil pressure when my truck is idling.....
so now i have wired to to pump when key is on,the truck start very badly but once started its ok so i damaged my VP for sure but im not bound to walk so....

FASS was shipped friday so i might get it installed by the next week-end and if its not curing my trouble as i suspect VP44SO in the way....

Old 02-11-2008, 01:06 AM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gentlemen, I am getting ready to add a gauge pod and one of my investments is going to be a fuel pressure gauge. I replaced the sending unit 10k ago (50k miles--seems kinda odd for that go out that early) so I went ahead and put the bosch relocation kit on so my pump is in the tank. What range do i need for lift pump psi?

Old 02-11-2008, 01:36 AM
6inarow
Professional

Bob you may have algea in your tank, I know it sound crazy but diesel fuel will grow a bacterial algea, and sitting for that long may contribute to it, there are lots of additives out there designed to clear that up and prevent the growth. Power service has an additive just for it.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:08 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Why would this crap pass through the stock fuel pump but not the Walboro? That is AWESOME to hear that your invention worked Bob !!! PROPS to you !!

we_the_unforgiven- Your fuel pressure probably won't go much past 20 psi if it ever gets there at all. My Autometer goes to 30psi.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:58 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

This stuff is not algee. It looks like a mixture of ground up sticks and leaves. The in-tank pump has a pre filter screen that sits in the tank. The one that is on the Walbro is an in-line style, once the stuff gets sucked into it, it stays there.

Anyway, the tank is comming out tonight when I get home.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:13 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Have you pissed anyone off lately? Maybe someone spiked your tank? I would guess that algea or some other growth is living in your tank.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Maybe put a bigger pre filter inline to help keep it from getting clogged?

I'm still stoked to hear that it works. That's awesome !!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:14 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I'll know exactly what it is thisafternoon. I'm dropping the tank when I get home.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:20 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

What filter did you put in line with the walbro? if you have a pic of it can you post it? I'm collecting all of the stuff to do a walbro install & adding a gauge as well.

Is there a screen of any kind on the bottom of the pickup tube?

Mayfair... what gauge do you have?

Quick Reply: My invention works