Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Never buying another Chrysler

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Watermelon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Never buying another Chrysler

My buddy has an 01 and the intercooler boot clamp came loose on it and I swear it was like driving a 4 cylinder. I put it back on for him and took off and you ought to seen the black smoke that rolled out of it. I stopped traffic. If you cant hear the turbo spooling up that is probably what it is. Thats how I found his problem.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:16 PM
dingo3g
Rookie

Well, I changed the fuel filter, and I haven't driven it far, but it sure didn't hurt it any.
Checked all the intercooler boots and they're fine. The filter looked nasty but no chunks of any kind. Just blackish.

I talked to the service manager at the stealership (I like that "stealership") and he tells me that the chrysler scanner won't/can't monitor fuel pressure????? I was the service manager at a small GM dealership that is now closed, it was doomed when I started there, but that's a story that doesen't belong here, anyway the GM Tech II would tell you everything about what was going on on a Durasux. Is this true? Chrysler can't do that??? After working on a few of them (durasux's) I definately didn't want one, that's why I bought the CTD, I had never worked on one, but I knew I didn't want a sux, (14 book hours to change a driver side valve cover gasket, that engineer should have been shot)

Old 02-11-2008, 10:11 PM
dingo3g
Rookie

Well, I couldn't take it, I went for an extended drive so the engine could warm up completely, it's like 20degrees F. here so it took a while.
The performance is definately significantly better, so maybe I did get some crappy fuel, or the cp3 is getting weak and more sensitive to a dirty filter?
I don't think it's back to normal but it's way better, I think maybe I'll get a can of BG fuel system cleaner (about $50) and try it. Anybody else got a better solution just short of a motorvac?

Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 PM
beachmstr

you could try a bottle of PSD and find a the steepest longest climb you can and just hammer down and see if that helps.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:17 PM
dingo3g
Rookie

which PSD? I assume you mean power service diesel.
I run Howes in it religiously.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Watermelon
Captain

Put it into a lower gear and run the rpm's up to 3grand and hold it for a mile or two. That will clean the injectors better than any cleaner. My 04 gets the rpm treatment nearly every day towing my trailer, PUUURS like a kitten.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Watermelon

Put it into a lower gear and run the rpm's up to 3grand and hold it for a mile or two. That will clean the injectors better than any cleaner.
Will that really work?

Will it hurt anything to do that?

I've often wondered how to clean out the injectors living in the city. If that'll work, I'll do it tomorrow.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:37 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

My truck blew an intercooler boot and it was a boat anchor. I couldn't go more than about 45 miles an hour with the pedal floored.

Quick Reply: Never buying another Chrysler