Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

FASS installed,now wont start,UPDATE,truck work now but still got questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FASS installed,now wont start

I'm wondering why the FASS is as noisy as you claim. I mean, you can hear it buzz, but I'm getting the impression that it's extremely noisy which isn't right at all.

Woli - honestly - did you rear the instructions before installing the FASS? I know how much you hate instructions buddy. Maybe you crossed the FASS fuel return line ( the one that goes to the filler neck ) with the line that's supposed to go to the VP44?

Old 02-22-2008, 11:49 AM
12valveman
Professional

hey guys dont mean to be too dumb but what the heck is a FASS and what does it do sorry for being dumb to that but if it was just the normal setup i would say the pump had failed with the tiiming issue. also when you crack the lines on the vp44 the pump actually shuts down some of the fuel out of it anyways if it does not see alot of pressure building. also you can try to use something not as harsh as ether like wd40 into the intake while cranking have never unhooked the grid when doing this maybe just lucky though. but would appreciate more on the FASS system thanks guys

Old 02-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the fass is an electrical fuel pump to replace the crappy stock carter pump that is natorious for dieing at the worst times leaving people stranded on the side of the road. and in the cases of the VP44 powered engines, when the lift pump dies it usualy takes the VP44 with it to an early grave.

the 12 valve engines have a mechanical pump that is run off a lobe on the cam shaft. no need for an electric pump.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:27 PM
12valveman
Professional

hey thanks for informing me on that. helps the fass must just be a name brand then? have installed quite a few of the mopar swaps where you take the old crap engine mounted pump off and retrofit it to the tank and have had alot of luck with those and are very reliable from what i have noted although you have to drop the tank but i have even cheated and taken the bed loose and lifted the front of the bed tipping it like a dump box and done this works slick. if you have a short bed that is. but yeah you may already have a dead injection pump the way it sounds . and again thanks for the info

Old 02-22-2008, 05:57 PM
woligator
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

I'm wondering why the FASS is as noisy as you claim. I mean, you can hear it buzz, but I'm getting the impression that it's extremely noisy which isn't right at all.

Woli - honestly - did you rear the instructions before installing the FASS? I know how much you hate instructions buddy. Maybe you crossed the FASS fuel return line ( the one that goes to the filler neck ) with the line that's supposed to go to the VP44?
well well wel mayfair,i read ur msg when coming back home whit beasty YAY
Run really well but still take abouty 5 sec of cranking to get it started [:@]
this morning i unplugged the hose to the VP44 and nothing came out even whit the pump working like hell.....
i crawled under the truck to see the fass plumbing( note that i did the electrical wiring and installed a fuel pressure gauge and 100psi boost gauge while my brother did the blues hoses)
and i was looking at at engine/return mishaps,i asked my brother if E=engine T=tank R = return make him think about something!!!
he said: heee oops!!!
so i fough whit the hose,finally cutting it to unplug it from the fitting and repluged that at the right place,craked the VP,3 injectors line and its runned right away YAY!
im low on fuel pressure,no more than 10 PSI for now but
HOW IM SUPPOSED TO FILL A 1/8 LINE WHIT LIQUID WHITOUT GETTING AIR INTO IT???
Well i will adress this later next week...
and yeah mayfair i did read the instructions ...after i found it didnt run at all :P

[IMG]local://upfiles/67050/BA12E5623F144AB4ADCA9098A623C266.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/67050/03AE2F0A9B2E43A99A50627146C0DD12.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/67050/5E78B9897B5E4197A332E7557E6D0F91.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-22-2008, 09:53 PM
woligator
Record Breaker

i read about ditching the fuel isolator but im concerned about letting a pressurised fuel line into my cab....

Old 02-22-2008, 10:10 PM
roadking096
Professional

I ran my fp gauge straight. Started to buzz after a while so I got nervous andput an isolator in. I filled it with a syringe.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:23 PM
woligator
Record Breaker

yeah me too but there is some air bubble in the line....

Old 02-22-2008, 10:27 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Thats why I got an electronic gauges

Old 02-22-2008, 10:41 PM
woligator
Record Breaker
Default RE: FASS installed,now wont start,UPDATE TRUCK WORK NOW BUT....

yeah buddy,i was pretty sure i was to receive an electric gauge but i didnt so im stuck whit this....

Quick Reply: FASS installed,now wont start,UPDATE,truck work now but still got questions