Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Need Steering upgrade Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 10:51 AM
energinerbuzzy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Steering upgrade Recomendations

Ok, I am not impressed with the ride quallity of the Superlift. Most of my complaint is in the steering, wondering, bump steer, ect.
I am looking for aftermarket steering/suspension parts that will help tame this beast!! Will the Thuren track bar really improve steering that much over stock?? Would Bilstein ugrades on the dual steering stabilizer help any?
How much better ride could I expect from the "Long Arm " upgrade for the control arms?

Any other parts avaliable to improve controle on lifted CTD's?

Thanks

Old 03-08-2008, 10:59 AM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: Need Steering upgrade Recomendations

ORIGINAL: energinerbuzzy

Ok, I am not impressed with the ride quallity of the Superlift. Most of my complaint is in the steering, wondering, bump steer, ect.
I am looking for aftermarket steering/suspension parts that will help tame this beast!! Will the Thuren track bar really improve steering that much over stock?? Would Bilstein ugrades on the dual steering stabilizer help any?
How much better ride could I expect from the "Long Arm " upgrade for the control arms?

Any other parts avaliable to improve controle on lifted CTD's?

Thanks
If you didn't go with the Bilsteins in the kit, I can see how you think it's a poor ride. Those shocks will make a 100% difference in the ride and handling. The lift also would not have done anything for death wobble or steering wander.

If you really want a complete tight and snug steering set up on your truck... I would recommend... a DDS steering stabilizer, and a single or dual steering stabilizer. On top of that... Thurens heavy duty steering kit. A long arm kit isn't going to do much for ride quality. It will how ever give the front end more stability than a short arm would. Unless you're bajaing though... I wouldn't think it's at all necessary.

Ball joints are kown for going bad quickly on lifted trucks too. They can account for a lot of play. Replacing the stock cheese ball joints with some quality aftermarkets will make a nice difference too.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:13 AM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

Couldn't I just replace the Superlift shocks with Bilsteins on my dual stabalizer? Wouldn't it be the same effect?

Old 03-08-2008, 11:31 AM
triton
Record Breaker

Couldn't I just replace the Superlift shocks with Bilsteins on my dual stabalizer? Wouldn't it be the same effect?
Not at all. You porbably wouldn't even notice you did anything if that's all you do. Dodge trucks have always since 1995 had problems with steering. The only way to deal with it would be what I mentioned above. When you lift these truck and then run larger tires you have to expect the trouble you're having. The get it tight and right... some over hauling needs to be done.

thurens stuff replaces all the ball joints with Heim joint. That alone is a major improvement. The steering box by itself has play and in fact it a crappy steering box anyway. The DSS help keep it in check along with stiffening up the front end by placing a solid cross member under the existing stabilizer.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:50 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

You need a steering stabilizer, an EGR Superbox, and a high output EGR ps pump.

That sector shaft will weaken on a factory ps box. I have the EGR and a stabilizer. ROCK solid.

How many inches of lift did you add? If it's more than 2, the kit should have come with an extended pitman arm.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:09 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

ORIGINAL: DieselDemon

You need a steering stabilizer, an EGR Superbox, and a high output EGR ps pump.

That sector shaft will weaken on a factory ps box. I have the EGR and a stabilizer. ROCK solid.

How many inches of lift did you add? If it's more than 2, the kit should have come with an extended pitman arm.

Good luck with your ride.
I have a dual stabilizer already and am ordering Bilstein ugrades for the shocks. I am also ordering the DSS Steering stabilizer.
But I can not find the EGR Superbox anywhere. Can you point me in the right direction please?
Oh and it's a 6" Superlift I have with the Superlift dual stabilizer.

Thanks

Old 03-14-2008, 05:15 PM
triton
Record Breaker

I have a dual stabilizer already and am ordering Bilstein ugrades for the shocks. I am also ordering the DSS Steering stabilizer.
But I can not find the EGR Superbox anywhere. Can you point me in the right direction please?
Oh and it's a 6" Superlift I have with the Superlift dual stabilizer.

Thanks
It's AGR and it's a complete power steering box replacement.... not cheap !

http://www.agrperformance.com/produc...&model=102

Old 03-14-2008, 06:21 PM
SpLaT
Captain

energinerbuzzy, I have the same lift on my 05, experienced some bump steer as well. Added adjustable trac bar, DSS stablizer and moog ball joints (they were hooped well before the lift install) tie rods were tight. I still get some bump steer, let me know if and when you upgrade the shocks if it helped any.

Thanks,

SpLaT

Old 03-14-2008, 07:41 PM
MAB_CTD_4X4
Professional

Can someone give me a link to DSS stablizer.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:54 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: MAB_CTD_4X4

Can someone give me a link to DSS stablizer.

DSS stabilizer

Quick Reply: Need Steering upgrade Recomendations