Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

should i do the clutch myself?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 02:00 PM
BigGreenCummins
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i do the clutch myself?

i should be getting my new clutch anyday now but im still not sure how hard it is going to be to change or how long it will take. has anyone done it before on there own that can help me out?

Old 03-09-2008, 04:14 PM
05cumminscrx
Rookie
Default RE: should i do the clutch myself?

if you have done clutches before then do its, if you havnt dont think it would be a good idea to experiment on your cummins unless you are mechanically inclined

Old 03-09-2008, 04:21 PM
05cumminscrx
Rookie

after reading some of your qquestions and other i would suggest you take it somewhere, also i hope that you got a good quality clutch from southbend, if you get a cheap one or try to cut a a corner on buying a clutch your going to get screwed, cuase you will go through all this work and you r clutch will occasionaly slip.the clutch is not something to go cheap one of the most important things to buy a good one. the torque of these monsters is unbelieveable and can easy destroy a good clutch. then you will end up buying a wquality one and paying someone to install again.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clutch install is easy. . .it just takes a good bit to get to it. you need a decient tranny jack to lower the tranny out, also a block of wood, or some type of support to hold up the rear of the engine. once you do that it is just a matter of a few bolts holding the pressure plate in.

things you will also need with a new clutch.

Pilot Bearing
throwout bearing
alignment tool

anytime a new clutch is installed you need new bearings. . .the alignment tool is just to get the clutch plate lined up correcctly so you cna get the tranny back in.

also, if you do this yourself a word of advice to getting it in easier. . .find 2-4 bolts that are about 5-6 inches long that have the same thread pattern as the bolts that hold the tranny in. lop the head of the bolt off and install into the block. this will help you align the tranny easier and also make it easier getting the tranny pushed into possition.

also, if you dont have the tool to remove the pilot bearing, thick grease and an extension will get it out.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:20 PM
burban2002
Veteran

Oh, and dont force the tranny on with the bolts. It should slide on all the way if you have it right.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:37 PM
BigGreenCummins

yea im deffinitly gonna do it myself. ive done clutches on cars and a toyota tundra once but i was sure how it is like on these big tranny's. i am getting a southbend clutch but still wasnt sure about a new flywheel or getting mine machined? i am deffinitly not mechanicaly inclined so it shouldnt be to bad with the help of a friend. does anyone know about how long this job takes and also what to do about the flywheel?

Old 03-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Az2500Cummins08

How many miles does the stock clutch usually last?

Old 03-09-2008, 11:29 PM
BigGreenCummins

im not sure. the truck has 205,000 miles on it and to my knowledge it is still the stock clutch but im getting a southbend. i just havent decided what to do about the flywheel yet.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it may be best to go ahead and get a new flywheel.

if you dont want to do that I'm pretty sure any machine shop can reserface your old flywheel.

edit. . .BTW, if your just doing the clutch and not removing the flywheel, you and a buddy, and a case of beer can be done in one day, with plenty of daylight left to test it out.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Methos
Veteran

Well, while we are on the subject of clutches, how heavy are these trannies? Been looking at some transmission jacks and the ratings are all over the board for the weight capacities.

Quick Reply: should i do the clutch myself?