Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Bozz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering problem

When I go around a corner and intitially turn the steering wheel, I do not feel anything. When I go to turn the steering wheel back to straighten the wheels I feel a pulseation in the steering wheel. The dealer replaced the steering pump intitially and the steering felt good for about a day. Then it started acting back up doing the same thing. They then replaced the steering box. I have been driving it for 4 days now and it is much better but occasionally feel the pulse when straightening the wheels. I do not feel the pulsing in the system when I sit still and just turn the steering wheel back and forth.

Thoughts or idea's?

I called the dealer and chatted again with them about it and the service writer said that there is nothing else they can do. I proceeded to inform them that I am living with the vibration in the rear end that Dodge refuses to address and I did not have this "pulsing" in the steering system until about a month ago. I bought the truck with 30,000 miles on it and have driven it for 35,000 miles with no problem in the steering system. I expect the steering to be the same as a new truck driving on the lot and will accept nothing less. They proceeded to try and appease me with "we are here for you."

Old 03-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned
Default RE: Steering problem

what year is your truck?

2wd or 4wd???

Old 03-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Bozz

Sorry, about that.

2004.5 Diesel 4x4 3/4 ton

Old 03-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

Thanks for theupdate

what size of tires are you running? do you have a lift kit?

I am brainstorming. there are others here that can help, soI am gathering info

Old 03-13-2008, 11:36 PM
12valveman
Professional

hey Bozz i take it like you said the pulse or noise is gone at an idle? have they checked the front axle ujoints if they are starting to seize they create a pulse while you are steering or turning and that could be why you have that feeling yet. and by the way Bozz what is up with the vibration in the rear? am fairly new to the site so if you have previously talked about it and missed it would like to know about it maybe can help. by the way is the fluid full in the resevoir for the pump?

Old 03-14-2008, 01:10 AM
Bozz

I will have them check the U-joints or I will. The resevoir is full and they flushed the fluid out also.

The vibe in the rear end is at roughly 70 mph. I have the shortbox model truck. They have tried rotating the tires, re-shimming the rear end to change the angle of the driveline and a couple of other things I don't remember. Basically, exhausted everything they could. I also talked to a driveline speciality shop in town about it and they said some of the shortboxes have this problem of a harmonic somewhere between the engine, tranny, rear driveline, and rear axle. They said there is nothing they can do for it. I also talked to the dealer and they said dodge acknowledges theyhave a problem but they don't have a fix for it. It is really more a vibration that you can hear rather than feel in the truck.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Bozz

I am running stock tires and no lift. Truck is stock.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Bozz

12valveman,

U-joints seem to be rock solid. No play in the the wheel.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:16 AM
Bozz

btt

Old 03-15-2008, 12:23 AM
12valveman
Professional

but bozz what are they like when you raise the front off the ground and turn the wheel do you feel a free then hard to turn movement in the wheel when you rotate it. they might not be fully worn out. majority of these joints i see fail look great by appearance but are seized and will not turn either one way or the other giving you a pulse or a uneven steering feel in the steering wheel. if that is ok bozz can you further explain the feel that you experience.? just trying to help i hate giving advice on stuff like this when i cant see it or drive it . have spend many times on the road trying to figure out stuff here at the dealer let me know

Quick Reply: Steering problem