Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Lookey What I Found In My AFE Stage2

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 04:02 PM
ARMOUR
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lookey What I Found In My AFE Stage2

Ok, well thanks for the help... I guess I will tell them that i could hear the turbo spoolong louder than normal and pulled intake to investigate! While removing air filter i found the chunks of metal, dug a little deeper and found the silencer and snap ring inside the tubing. Whick is what really happened i guess! Maybe honesty will be the best policy? Bu i am sure they will try and dance around the facts and make me pay out of pocket!

Old 03-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Drew
Professional

if you have to pay out of pocket. . .time to upgrade.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:22 PM
ARMOUR
Rookie

I wish i could afford to upgrade... Its coming into my slow time, so i need to bank all the money i can to get thru spring! What time to lose the turbo! hopfully everything else engine wise is ok!

Old 03-21-2008, 04:39 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks.....I guess it's just another reason to remove that stupid ring in the first place.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Watermelon
Captain

I still dont get how in the H... the metal chunks got back to the filter [:-]It seems to me that they would have sucked through a completely demolished everything, instead of just scaring upthe fins.You think when the fins hit them andthey flew back up the tube to the filter..... talk about bad luck and good in the same instance, What the....... Good luck at the stealer man

Old 03-21-2008, 06:04 PM
ARMOUR
Rookie

I didn't know what to think at first! I still can't really wrap my head around it... I don't understand how that turbo could be sucking so hard that shards of metal could fly forward... But I also don't understand how the silencer ring got sucked in there in the first place???

Old 03-21-2008, 06:19 PM
UpBranchLiner

Have you ever pulled the ring out before the turbo decided to eat it?

Old 03-21-2008, 06:30 PM
behindbars

I chewed up a compressor wheel on my skidloader before. It processed some of it clear through the engine. When I pulled the turbo off there were little aluminium bb's in the exhaust manifold. The guy at the turbo shop said that's why they're made out of a real soft aluminum so if it does happen it is less likely to damage anything. Hopefully it'll be covered under warranty. If not you'd probably be better off just getting a used one. With that much damage it's likely non-rebuildable.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:45 PM
speakle
All Star

I wonder if its possible that you "barked" the turbo giving an outward pressure, just enough to pop something loose, hit the wheel and shoot forward? That would be quite good actually that way most stuff got blown away instead of sucked in, either way, good luck.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:30 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

ORIGINAL: speakle

I wonder if its possible that you "barked" the turbo giving an outward pressure, just enough to pop something loose, hit the wheel and shoot forward? That would be quite good actually that way most stuff got blown away instead of sucked in, either way, good luck.
If that's what happened, then it's a sure case of "They sure don't make 'em like they used to," cause I had to forcibly rip mine out with the biggest set of pliers I had which in turn made the silencer ring look like it was on the business end of a bank job.
Name:  100_0256.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  49.7 KB

Quick Reply: Lookey What I Found In My AFE Stage2