Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Anybody see the cheap oil alternative

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anybody see the cheap oil alternative

ORIGINAL: RamItOne
I rarely use much elect, 40 dollar utility bills in a 2400 sat house go figure,
How the hell do you only have a 40 dollar bill? What do you live by candelight and keep your food in a cooler?

Old 03-26-2008, 05:24 AM
RamItOne

yeah a lot of people ask me that. I leached into my neighbors house as it was being built and burried the cable. Ha not really

Its insulated very well, I live in San antonio summer temps can get over 100 and winter in the 20's. Personally I like the cold, I'll leave my windows open in the winter and have a lilfan by the window sucking more cold air in. Anyways I'll never run the heat, if i keep the house sealed itll still be comfortable when its 30f outside. And for the summer it actually had to get into the 90s before my ac needs to come on, I keep it at 78f, have a ceiling fan in all the rooms and in the living and bedroom have a nice tower fan as well. I can actually get goosebumps when both fans are on.
As for the insulation to give you an idea my buddy down the street has a 1300 sqf house so basically half my size, itll say on his thermostat (well mine gave it to him when I bought my new one) will say 78 and mine will still say 69 or 70. Its been 97 mid day and the thermostat said 77 with just running fans. I do have a lot of windows 17 or 18, the one by the staircase does let a lot of heat in, its a 5ft by 5ft single piece of glass.
One thing that helped was the new thermostat I bought, its a touch screen and even has a remote control. But I can set different temps for different times of day, have it set to come on 30 min before I get home and I just leave the ceiling fans running, they really help. Also all my lights are those energy bulbs, I first bought them for my outside lights that I leave on 24 7 and just kept buying them when they were on sale. Like my bathroom had 8 100w bulbs, now 8 13 watt bulbs so basically all eight of the new ones equals just one of the old bulbs. its totally worth it, the fans were expensive bout 1400 bucks but I spent between 150 and 300 on the fans. They have remotes to, have you figured out yet that I'm lazy? I also bought 2 $50 solar flood light since I fly the flag at night it needs to be lit up. it looks great at night, they're LEDs so they really make the white stand out.

As for the cooler comment, thats in the truck, my fridge is a huge 26 cubic ft LG fridge set to cold, the milk sometimes has ice crystals if I put it where the vent is. One thing that helps is I'm single so I don't have much laundry, can pack 20 boxers and 20 Tshirts in one load so that save on elec. I do work my waterheater a bit, my bathtub is huge, takes 11 minutes to fill, even unscrewed and reveresed the top drain to get 2 more inches, I'll take a bath 3 or 4 days a week, I started lifting heavily so need to relax the muscles, just throw in a DVD and zone out.
Eh typed more than I planned and it was on my iPhone.

Oh yeah furniture is all leather and tables are marble so that helps keeping you cool.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:01 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Making liquid fuels from coal has always been something that interested my family.

My grandfather was on the US Council for Fuel Research throughout the 1930s and 40s. This was the forerunner to the US Energy Department.

My father studied and wrote his engineering thesis on the
**** coal to aviation gasoline (and explosives and synthetic rubber)
that was dismantled in Germany,
shipped to Missouri in the USA,
rebuilt and run for three years to study its secrets.

In 1981 I visited the South African SASOL I plant and associated coal mines, then toured SASOL II which was still being built
(by USA construction companies Fluor, Peter Kuit, B&V and Bechtel).

While there I filled the rental car with 100% synthetic gasoline in a town near SASOL-I and it ran just fine.

The USA could certainly make its fuels from coal.

The cost would be approximately $5 billion
for a plant that could make 0.1 million barrels per day,
and we would need to replace about
5 million barrels per day being imported.

The CO2 smoke stack emissions from the synthetic fuel plants
could either be pumped underground where the rocks permit,
or the CO2 could be reacted with other rocks to make a kind of limestone,
but the most interesting solution was tried at MIT at their campus heating plant
where CO2 was successfully fed to algae and made into bio-fuel.

Regardless of what the US government bumbles around doing,
China and India are going to start using so much oil sucked from the declining world market,
that the USA, Japan and Europe will have to do something besides 'conserve'

At the moment
the simplest & cheapest thing the USA refineries could do
would be to feed more finely ground up coal dust into their crude oil input streams,
as this can increase yields of gasoline and diesel by 15%
but it does create more of the 'petroleum coke' by product.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:04 PM
RamItOne

Hey mayfair, just checked my indor thermostat, downstairs its reading 73, upstairs 75.5, outside 91 in the shade. NO AC!!!![8D]

Quick Reply: Anybody see the cheap oil alternative