Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Front Dive Shaft Greasing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Aero Ram
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Dive Shaft Greasing?

I went through the DIY looked at all the pics, bought grease and the adapter, my truck has the sticker under the hood saying to grease the fitting at every oil change. Well I've gotten under the truck and can't find it, my friends can't find it and DODGE itself can't find it.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the fitting is only on the trucks with the electric 4x4 (the little **** on the dash) I got the manual engagement (lever on the floor) this is the only thing I can think it would be cause its an 06 and they say 05 and up have the fitting?! Just want to make sure thanks guys (and Froger)....

Old 03-26-2008, 07:50 PM
cujo
Captain
Default RE: Front Dive Shaft Greasing?

I have the manual lever on my 07, it's there. Look from the front passenger side and look at the pict in the DIY. Jack the drivers side tire up so you can spin the shaft too.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:56 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

So it this fitting in the U-Joint that goes into the passenger side hub?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:09 PM
cujo
Captain

No. It's on the front drive shaft. At the back of the front shaft there is a double joint. It is on the front most of these two joints. It's easiest to see from the front passenger side of the joint. To make matters worse there is a cross member just under the shaft at this point (just to make it interesting).

Old 03-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

Ok its good to know starred at the right spot like everyone one else and saw nothing but a crossmember blocking everything...lol... I'll try to jack it sometime and seeif I can locator again....Thanks Cujo...

Old 03-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Methos
Veteran

Yeah, it's there even with the manual shifter. Real pain in the butt too. The first time is the worst, it's like it's got some kind of sealer over it or something.

My dealer didn't have a clue about it either even after I pointed it out to them complete with diagrams they tried to tell me it wasn't there.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:17 PM
cujo
Captain

Keep in mind you are not looking for a zerk style fitting, its just a little round dimple that the grease needle rests up against. Look at the joint while you slowly spin the tire or the shaft. It's a real bitch the first time till you figure out the best angle. It's also only going to take a couple of pumps. It will come out the back of the joint, if you get too much grease in the joint it will spin grease off and make a mess of the under side.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

Yeah I saw the picture that Drew posted of it and got theadapter, grease and gun sitting in my tool box. Pry try to get under there withapressure washer and spray the **** out of it to try to get it to reveal its ugly face....

Quick Reply: Front Dive Shaft Greasing?