Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Injectors have been pulled...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008 | 10:25 AM
mopar1973man
Veteran
Default RE: Injectors have been pulled...

Here you go...

My FAQ's on 2 cycle oil...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2...ilure_faqs.htm

The injector tubes have a "screen" in them which, in addition to engine harmonics, is used to "break up" particulites that make it past the filter system to help protect the injector. I seen a post but for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it.
Right here...

Quoted From Dodge's Factory Service Manual (2nd Gen VP44 and 3rd Gen CR)
[blockquote]
Each fuel injector connector tube contains an edge filter (Fig. 13) that breaks up small contaminants that enter the injector. The edge filter uses the injectors pulsating high-pressure to break up most particles so they are small enough to pass through the injector.[/blockquote]

I've got a buddy on my site with a 2004??? that has been running 200:1 ratio fo 2 cycle now for over 35K miles and no problems yet... His name is "Dorkweed" if you want to converse with someone...

Old 03-29-2008 | 12:04 PM
triton
Record Breaker

what you found is what I'm hearing from a number of people in the injector game. Injectors are failing because people don't help them. It takes getting them heated up to burn off that carbon. EGT's can be a good thing sometimes. Opening up the truck down a straight away is a big benefit to check the injectors carbon free.

You can use 2 stroke oil or regular oil. I know someone that owns a shop and does oil changes. In stead of disguarding the used oil.... he puts it in his fuel ! Not a thing wrong with this as long as you get it heated up to help burn off the carbon. I won't make a habit out of putting oil in the fuel but, every once in a while... it does help.

Old 03-29-2008 | 12:45 PM
02cummins
Captain

im pretty sure rebuilding your own injectors is easy, i rebuilt MACK trucks injectors and they are essentially the same,all it is really is a case,spring, shim, a needle and a housing the only problem is the testing part when finished, we had to use a pop off machine, which supplied the injector the way the pump would with fuel and you could watch the pressure it popped off at and check for the number of holes firing off "popping off" and atomizing

Old 03-29-2008 | 02:08 PM
mopar1973man
Veteran

ORIGINAL: triton
You can use 2 stroke oil or regular oil. I know someone that owns a shop and does oil changes. In stead of disguarding the used oil.... he puts it in his fuel ! Not a thing wrong with this as long as you get it heated up to help burn off the carbon.
WRONG! This has been tested by www.dieselplace.com with WEO... WEO has less lubricity than 2 cycle oil... Take notice to the chart the lower the HFRR number the better the lubricity of the additive... Than take notice that WEO scored poorly over 2 cycle oil... So with WEO your causing more damage to your fuel system with WEO (634 HFRR)than with CLEAN 2 CYCLE OIL (474 HFRR)...

Old 03-29-2008 | 03:45 PM
04QC4X4
Captain

If I read that chart right, then the MMO that I've been running is not a good thing. I thought alot of guys were running this. I run 8 oz of PSD with 4 oz of MMO per fill up which is usually 26-30 gallons. Should I switch to 2-stroke instead? What kind should I run?

Old 03-29-2008 | 04:31 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mopar1973man

You can use 2 stroke oil or regular oil. I know someone that owns a shop and does oil changes. In stead of disguarding the used oil.... he puts it in his fuel ! Not a thing wrong with this as long as you get it heated up to help burn off the carbon.
WRONG! This has been tested by www.dieselplace.com with WEO... WEO has less lubricity than 2 cycle oil... Take notice to the chart the lower the HFRR number the better the lubricity of the additive... Than take notice that WEO scored poorly over 2 cycle oil... So with WEO your causing more damage to your fuel system with WEO (634 HFRR)than with CLEAN 2 CYCLE OIL (474 HFRR)...

what ever dood. The guys been doing it for a long time with NO ill effect. I've run a gallon of my motor oil through a tank of fuel several times. My truck runs fine. In fact, I just pulled my injectors today to change them and they could look any better. I don't go by charts people drum up... I go by experience and others experience that know what they're doing :-) Neither 2 stroke or regular oil should be ran through it too much but, once every 6 months IMO, is a good thing.

Old 03-29-2008 | 07:28 PM
mopar1973man
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 04QC4X4

If I read that chart right, then the MMO that I've been running is not a good thing. I thought alot of guys were running this. I run 8 oz of PSD with 4 oz of MMO per fill up which is usually 26-30 gallons. Should I switch to 2-stroke instead? What kind should I run?
MMO is solvent based... Here if you want you can buy the raw materials at your local hardware storeand make it yourself... Here is the MSDS sheet for the materials...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2...DS%20Links.htm

Seriously there isn't many fuel additive that improve the lubricity of the fuel (as seen in the table above) other than BIO or OIL's. So any ASHLESS 2 cycle oil is fine. If you want to improve your anti-gel get snowmobile oil its got a much lower pour point than most diesel fuel (-40*F to -50*F).

If you want a lot of good reading head over to my 2 cycle oil page...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2..._cycle_oil.htm

Old 03-29-2008 | 07:34 PM
mopar1973man
Veteran

what ever dood. The guys been doing it for a long time with NO ill effect. I've run a gallon of my motor oil through a tank of fuel several times. My truck runs fine. In fact, I just pulled my injectors today to change them and they could look any better. I don't go by charts people drum up... I go by experience and others experience that know what they're doing :-) Neither 2 stroke or regular oil should be ran through it too much but, once every 6 months IMO, is a good thing.
Maybe I did that wrong...[] But I'm hear to put the facts down thats all...

Here read up yourself... (Orignal thread)
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=177728

Additional Thread...
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=178848

PDF Version...
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/att...p;d=1188575783

As for Cummins using WEO they have been doing it for there larger engine for a long time now...
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/.../centinel.html

But I look at the fact that a lot of waste particles and other waste products in the WEO tend to reduce the lubricity which in turns enhances wear on the fuel system. This why my long study of 2 cycle oil was started to find a cheap alternative fuel lube that will not have any side effects... So far I'm closing in on 40K miles and no problems...

Sorry I came off the wrong way I'm here to help not fight...

Old 03-29-2008 | 08:09 PM
SpLaT
|
Captain

Way back when I was a kid our neighbour worked as a heavy duty mechanic, servicing large fleet of tractor/trialers for large grocery chain. They always dumped used engine oil into the fuel tanks. Don't recall if it helped or not, or it was just a way to get rid of the oil? Still run into mechanics that swear by tranny fluid! I work with a number of heavy duty wrench pullers in the oil field, even they tell me, as they were going through apprenticeships, their instructors recommended tranny fluid to be mixed with fuel! This may work in the older stuff, but in todays injectors/pumps, I don't know?

There still some people out that still think the world is flat!!![sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 03-29-2008 | 08:32 PM
mopar1973man
Veteran

Key phrase "Way back when"... Todays fuel system don't tolerate some the new things that are added to the ATF like friction modifiers and other chemicals. These don't burn clean like the old school ATF which was nothing more that red colored hydraulic fluid. This also produces another problem too... If you get checked for RED DYE fuel you might get into some trouble too...

When you spend alot of time on forums you listen to a lot of people upgrading the fuel filters to 2 micron filters to protect the fuel system. Remember that WEO is going to haveparticles larger than 2 microns. Most oil filters are roughly 15-20 micron. I look at it this way it just risky using WEO in the fuel. When you IP pump could cost you about $1,600.00 andInjectors at roughly $600... Then the ASH content is rather a problem too depending on how much WEO you use. I'm not willing to gamble with dirty oil...

Quick Reply: Injectors have been pulled...