Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fan clutch is out

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008 | 02:32 PM
RamItOne
Default RE: Fan clutch is out

I'll go online later and see if I can't find cfm #s on diesels.
As for the radiator yeah they're a lot bigger. I have 4 radiators in all, thinking about adding an aux oil cooler.

Old 03-31-2008 | 10:31 PM
austin
|
Veteran

Well guys! I took the truck to goodyear this morning!

To replace the parts it was $530 with labor.

Got the truck.. Went to go fill it up. Pulled in, and all of the sudden the engine went nuts!!! Sounded like I had a straight pipe, and the rockers were about to bust out! Opened the hood real quick and the engine was turning at 450RPM, rattling around like crazy, and the fan was going a million miles an hour! Right when I saw the fan the engine went "CLUNK" and died. couldnt get it to start back up! Called Goodyear and bitched them out(i was PISSED) and they sent a tow truck and would "see it in the morning" even though they were open for 2 more hours!

The truck wasn't even warmed up, it was only at 180*!

Code was p0069... Map sensor malfunction.

They claim they will do a test and make sure everything is alright, they think they "forgot to plug in the sensor". This is not the first time that this has happened at this place either. On my old truck they messed up 2 of my $3000 rims and wouldnt fix it... but anyway, I told them I want a diagnostic test done, and I want to see the papers saying everything on my engine is ok and they didn't damage anything. Also, just because I dont trust them, I insist on them paying the Dodge dealership to do one also.

Do you think my engine could have been damaged during this time????

Thanks!!!

Old 03-31-2008 | 10:59 PM
Drew
Professional

the thing is the fan clutch works in the absence of electricity. basicaly if something were to happen, hopefully the clutch would fail in the open circuit possition, meaning on. however for some reason they fail in the possition they were in last.

Old 03-31-2008 | 11:28 PM
austin
|
Veteran

Well with the truck throwing a code with the map sensor, and it running like a straight pipe with the pistons going nuts and the valves sounding like they wanna fly out of the head... do you think it could be damaged? i am making sure they run a test making sure everything is ok. I dont trust them at all though. I want them to pay Dodge to take a look at it. This is my baby, and I pay for everything(at 17 that isnt too easy). So 1000 down the road I don't want something to crap out and I go back to them and they say "oh well".

Old 04-01-2008 | 10:17 AM
12valveman
Professional

welll speaking from a "stealership" as you call us you now want to bring it to us to make sure that nothing is wrong. kinda funny!!!!!! sorry had to vent. working on a truck today also and 04 ctd and has been to one of your independent places to diag a no start the independent has thrown appx 1700 in parts including an ecm and many sensors. just makes me laugh because all it is is a 500 job here of the fuel lift pump which guess what is covered under his diesel warranty. now he also wants help with the other parts the independent put in it we just laughed which honestly made my day because all the parts used were also aftermarket and now the new compter they put in is throwing bogus codes and i honestly think it needs a c0mputer and he doesnt have the old one and we cannot warranty an aftermarket part. oh the joys of independents from time to time they throw alot of parts at a problem and the customer usually says nothing if it gets fixed. and they can say nothing if they keep throwing parts . but if this guy would have brought it in here and we said it needed a 500 part that wasnt under warranty they would scream bloody murder and would say they would never bring it back

Old 04-01-2008 | 10:50 AM
RamItOne

yeah but dealerships and well most mech shops are known to screw you, i took my mercedes years back for something, quoted 1200 bucks, i took it to a lil german guy that works on foreign cars, and i **** YOU NOT it was a 6 dollar hose replacement and that was that.

Quick Reply: Fan clutch is out