Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fan clutch is out

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008 | 08:31 PM
austin
|
Veteran
Default Fan clutch is out

Well I went to look at it after it has been running un normal temps driving in the city. Found out the clutch is probably dead. I am taking it to a shop tomorrow(somewhere besides a dodge dealer!)

For 1: Where can I go to get this fixed? Goodyear?
2: is this from going mudding and from plowing through water, or do they just go bad?

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2008 | 08:45 PM
12valveman
Professional
Default RE: Fan clutch is out

why do you say it is bad ? it is a electrically controlled fan clutch. is the radiator clean? just trying to figure out why you say it is bad

Old 03-30-2008 | 08:48 PM
austin
|
Veteran

Yes the radiator is super clean. I cleaned it up this morning. Are you sure it is electric? It looks like it is connected to the engine. My friends dad said that the fan clutch is bad on it.

This morning the fan kinda turned but would shut off every few seconds, then start back up, then shut off.... Now the fan will n ot turn at all. you cant even move it about 5in, after that it just wont turn...

Can anybody go see if you cn spin your fan with the engine cool? I need some help on what to do with this!

Thanks

Old 03-30-2008 | 08:52 PM
12valveman
Professional

it is electric clutch there is a connector down below by the crankshaft pulley but it is driven by the engine via the belt and the fan pulley it is just electrically engaged. have seen wiring issues with some of these with the wiring or the connector corroding down by the crankshaft pulley and when it is cool you cannot turn it at all?

Old 03-30-2008 | 08:54 PM
austin
|
Veteran

I did not know that... How can I fix that without going to the shop?

Yeah when the engine is totally cool you can not turn the fan more than 5in otherwise it will lock up. When the engine is running the fan doesn't spin at all.

Old 03-30-2008 | 08:57 PM
RamItOne

you might as well get an E fan instead of the clutch, the lincoln mark VII is about one of the best efans out there, itll free up just a small amount of HP but give you much better cooling, some you can set up for hi lo rocker switch as well.

Old 03-30-2008 | 09:02 PM
12valveman
Professional

well austin you need to check the connector down by the pulley making sure no wires that lead from the shroud mount on the left side to the lower part of the radiator are intact. you may had done damage to the fan but very unlikely havent replaced any so far in the shop but have repaired alot of wiring harnesses in this area i should have asked you have a P0483 fan speed code? could be wrong but i would check those wires. also would leave it stock but it is up to you if you modify just another thing to go wrong that you have changed. check those wires austin or have someone do it for you

Old 03-30-2008 | 10:43 PM
austin
|
Veteran

Yeah it put out a p0483 code. That was when the fan was somewhat working.

Went out and looked, all the wires are there and are connected good. the fan seems like it is rubbing though. I will take it to goodyear and see what they say.

What can cause this to happen though?

Old 03-31-2008 | 08:54 AM
behindbars

ORIGINAL: austin

What can cause this to happen though?
from going mudding and from plowing through water
You know the answer. It's a fan not a propeller. I'm recommending your parents extend your grounding from the truck.

Old 03-31-2008 | 11:15 AM
austin
|
Veteran

No they can't really do anything. I bought the truck, and if I damage it I am the one that pays for it. It will be out of the shop today with a $525 charge. I think it should be lower than that, but they have to get the whole assembly. The reason for the speeding ticket was my fault, but I didn't want to stop every 5miles to let it cool down. First time I have ever seen a cop there... []Oh well, live and learn.
These tickets and repairs are adding up!!! My dad won't let me go mudding for a month, thats my punishment, which sucks because I havent had the truck long at all!

Quick Reply: Fan clutch is out