Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

tire rotation

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 03:52 AM
bpmills
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire rotation

Hi guys, took my 2008 mega cab dually in today to the dealer for its first oil change since the dealer paid for it. My question to the service manager was how to you rotate the 6 tires, for which he had no answer. So I thought I would ask the experts (you guys). And do you ever add the spare tire into the mix??
Thank you, Burt Mills

Old 04-10-2008, 07:06 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: tire rotation

for the dually's, the outer tire goes to the front, the front tire goes to the inside, and the inside tire gets turned around to the outside. . .I think thats how it goes.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:48 AM
KenZ
Veteran

Yep, kinda like that. I have the dealer do mine every other oil change. The outside right rear goes to the front left, the outside left rear goes to the front right (criss cross). The two front tires stay on the same side just move to the back inside. The inside tires move to the outside but have to be broken down and the wheel turned 180' and remounted so as the tire rolls in the same direction. I believe I said that right.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Bigriver

Most of the time I don't bother with it, but the last time they were rotated, only one rear side per rotation goes up front. For example, both fronts would go back to the left rears. (Yes, one of the tires would be reversed.) Next time use the right rears. I always thought that reversing a tires rotation would screw with the steel belts, but apparantly not, so said the tire shop that did the work.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:01 PM
92oilburner
Professional

now aren't you glad you asked? you got 3 different answers![&:] now even I am more confused than before. Anybody bother to read the owners manual?

Old 04-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I never realized that the inside rear tire also had a fancy rim like the outside rear tire. I just always thought they had an ugly steel wheel in there.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:28 PM
QUACKSTACKER
Professional

ORIGINAL: KenZ

Yep, kinda like that. I have the dealer do mine every other oil change. The outside right rear goes to the front left, the outside left rear goes to the front right (criss cross). The two front tires stay on the same side just move to the back inside. The inside tires move to the outside but have to be broken down and the wheel turned 180' and remounted so as the tire rolls in the same direction. I believe I said that right.

this is how i have always heard and seen it done on duallys.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Bigriver

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

I never realized that the inside rear tire also had a fancy rim like the outside rear tire. I just always thought they had an ugly steel wheel in there.
Well, all the stock rims are the same style, plain jane steel. What you're seeing on the outside is beauty rings, or simply, chrome hub caps. That way when you rotate the tires, the caps will fit any which rim that happens to be on the outside.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:10 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

sounds alot like that game dance revolution

Old 04-10-2008, 07:57 PM
reed
Veteran

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that you'd play that game