Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Oil\Filter\Fuel filter all changed

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:29 PM
mikebol
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil\Filter\Fuel filter all changed

I've reached 7500 miles on the truck and decided today was the day to take care of the first service. I'm a light weight DIYer when it comes to getting under the hood. Oil and filters, brakes, plugs and wires, etc are all normal things I like to take care of. So armed with all the great DIY info and pictures from this forum, off I go...

Step 1: Fuel Filter

The new 6.7L motor has a one piece fuel filter canaster that should make things easier for DIYers. The only problem as other have observed is getting to it. The canaster is pretty good sized, is tucked under the master cylinder, on the other side of the steering shaft, there's a bunch of wires and emmissions crap in the way above ... it's just not pretty. Looking up from below is not much better since the pumpkin is on that side of the truck.

So looking at the fender well, I can see the filter, touch it, etc ... since the truck is a 4x4 there seems to be plenty of clearance for me, I'm not a big guy anyway. So, I remove the 8 screws holding the fender liner in, remove the one wire bung behind the shock mount and out it comes. Now, I follow the draining instructions that are in the DIY to get some fuel out of the filter. I then close up the drain and loosen the filter with a standard oil filter wrench. I continue to remove the filter and have it unscrewed but cannot for the life of me snake it around everything ... I end up with diesel alll over the place trying to get this thing out. I guess I didn't let enough fuel drain out apparently. Next time I'll loosen the filter and then drain it.

Reinstall was by the book, used my filter wrench to gently snug the filter up since my hands were covered in diesel and kind of slippery. Followed the priming steps in the DIY and then cranked her up.

Perfect, all done. 25 minutes for a first timer.

Step 2: Oil and Filter Change

Getting under this beast is very pleasant ... I can roll under it with ease, pop off the drain plug and wait for the black maple syrup to drain out. An hour later, I decide it's been long enough and I replace the plug witha quick drain plug from Geno's (Yes, I even read all of Mayfair's posts too).

I turn my attention to the oil filter ... I removed the stock air box just to get a better look at where this thing is located. Looking underneath the truck, I can pretty easily get to the filter, there is a clear access path there. So I reach up there and give it a turn ... OMG ... It was loose! I've read sooo many posts from you guys about doing things yourself and knowing they are done right. Here's why folks. The oil filter was not even hand tight, I can't believe it wasn't leaking but by some act of God it wasn't. So, with new filter in hand, I fill it with oil (a first for me) and put it back on, snug it up and I turn my attention up top. After dropping in 3 gals of oil, checking levels and so on, I'm all done.

Perfect, 1 hour wait time and 20 minutes to actually change everything out.

Step 3:Oiling the front drive shaft

I have to head out and get the needle thingy first, but this is next on my list later today. I actually found the zerk on the drive shaft thanks to the pictures and detail in this forum.

So after having done all this, I sure wish manufacturers would use remote oil and fuel filters and put them in locations where you can actually get to them. I owned an F150 years ago and it was a snap to change the oil, the filter was right up front and easily accessible.

Anyway, just my ramblings ... thanks to everyone who has contributed to the DIY list. They are very useful!

Mike

Old 04-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: Oil\Filter\Fuel filter all changed

ORIGINAL: mikebol
I replace the plug witha quick drain plug from Geno's (Yes, I even read all of Mayfair's posts too).
Name:  applause.gif
Views: 39
Size:  104.4 KB

I don't know if it's mentioned in the DIY thread, but slipping a gallon size zip lock bag over the oil filter before you take it off really eliminates the mess. I remove my oil filter from above after first removing my air filter first ( which I clean while it's out ) and I use one of those oil filter wrench's that look like a claw to take the filter off. Once it's loosened with the claw, I just spin it the rest of the way. It's cake. As a matter of fact, I'll be doing it tonight.

You're gonna LOOOOOOVE that new drain plug !! You'll never need an oil catch pan again. Just drain it into empty gallon jugs and you're done. It is hands down without a doubt the best mod I've done to my truck to date. I love it.

Thinking about your fuel filter ... could you possibly just cut an access hole in your fenderwelland thenjust use the cutout piece to cover it back up? I dunno, just thinking out loud.Sucks that it's that much of a b**ch.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:25 PM
mikebol
Veteran

Hey, I just realized that I have a claw filter wrench too ... I normally use the band wrench though. The claw would be handy for getting to the fuel filter. I had read about the zip lock idea (or was it a WalMart bag) but forgot about it once I was out there looking at it. I'll definately remember that for next time.

An access panel would be a nice mod here. Maybe someone will come up with a trick for making a hinged access "door" to get in there more better.

Mike

Old 04-10-2008, 02:42 PM
behindbars

I'm scared of the new fangled quick release drain plug. I do a lot of driving through fields and the woods in the winter cutting wood and stuff. I'm afraid of it catching on somthing and opening up. How hard is it to open?

Old 04-10-2008, 03:06 PM
mikebol
Veteran

Here's the drain plug I just installed:

This picture is with the valve open. When closed, the little lever comes up horizontal and a spring pushes it and keeps it locked in that little channel. I guess a limb might be able to push\pull it open but I think it'd be really unlikely. If you ever drive over logs, I'dthink you'd run more of a risk of a log kicking up and hitting the thing. But this is a stout little bugger. Also, they have a shorter one without the nipple if that's your style.

For me, I'm a light weight off roader, mostly use this truck as a daily driver and tow vehicle.

Mike

EDIT: Just checked Geno's site, the plug with the nipple extends 1.5" below the pan, the one with no nipple only extends 1" below the pan.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: behindbars
How hard is it to open?
I'd say that it's extremely difficult to open up by itself, if not almost impossible. You have to push OUT and pull DOWN at the SAME TIME. It's a two step move.

Here's a pic so that you can see what I mean

Name:  OrlandoRaceway-2006148.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  71.5 KB

I've even heard of some really paranoid guy's doing this :

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/0819F382C9AC494C88FFE3103B177F54.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-10-2008, 03:40 PM
cujo
Captain

I got the extra clip on mine (color me paranoid), just for that reason. Cutting fire wood I was afraid of a snag catching it, without the clip it would be hard to get it to open unless you wanted it open, with the clip damned near impossible. It's also kind of protected behind the front axel. Get one, you will love it.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:44 PM
behindbars

Do they sell the safety clip or is it something you found laying around?

Old 04-10-2008, 03:48 PM
cujo
Captain

Any hardware store. Just a 5/8 inch hose clip.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, if the oil filter was low on the block you would have oil all over the place. since it is up top there is a bit of capilary action that goes on and some of the oil actualy gets sucked back into the block lowering the level of oil in the filter.

I noticed this on a rush change job I did. I usualy let her sit for a bit before yanking the filter, but this time it was a needed yank and go. . .well, the A/C compressor got nicely lubricated that day.

Quick Reply: Oil\Filter\Fuel filter all changed