1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

76 D100 swap 8.0

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:32 PM
Auslander
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 D100 swap 8.0

Pros and cons of dropping a 99 V10 8.0 into a 76 Adventurer shortbox?
Donor motor runs well, good compression, but no ECM.
Is this even feasible?
Not sold, not unsold. Testing the water.

Old Today, 08:16 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 65 Likes on 64 Posts

Pros, sounds pretty badA**. Cons, wasn't a factory option so most everything will be custom. Motor mounts, cooling stack, a/c if you want it, electrical, dash gauges. Depending on the trans option you use, speedometer could be interesting. If you're up for a mechanical adventure I say go for it.

Feasible, absolutely however affordable, probably not

I've been wanting to stuff a V10 in something myself. Right now probably my 98 regular cab short bed, but that'll be easy since it was a factory option that year. Just waiting for a 98 donor to surface.

Old Today, 09:52 AM
u2slow
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds fun!

If going auto, I would try keep with the '99 era ECM and trans. If going manual, then stick with the 47RH or manual trans ECM/harness.

www.car-part.com is a good search engine for used parts.

Old Today, 06:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,363 Likes on 3,105 Posts

Originally Posted by u2slow
Sounds fun!

If going auto, I would try keep with the '99 era ECM and trans. If going manual, then stick with the 47RH or manual trans ECM/harness.

www.car-part.com is a good search engine for used parts.
I would be more tempted to go with the 96-97 PCM, 98 and up want to drive the gauges, and a selection of other things as well....

Old Today, 06:23 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 384 Likes on 361 Posts

I would have to ask why? Yeah it has torque, But all things considered i think a built 440 would be better. It seems that miles per gallon is not something you are concerned with.

Old Today, 06:55 PM
Los_Control
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it sounds cool .... my first question is how do you feel about fabrication and welding?
With a V10 I wonder how long the engine is and how far you can push the radiator forward for clearance ..... A 70's D100 had some room in them and you may be fine.
Same time it might be easier to cut open the firewall and transmission tunnel to fit the engine .... I dunno. First thing I would be checking.

Sounds like you already have the donor motor .... Sometimes free is not cheap .... you will need to do your research to find out exactly what you need, transmission, wiring harness, ECM ...
Fabrication.

I met a guy online that had a 1970 D100 and he wanted to give away the original 318/3spd transmission so I went and picked it up.
He was installing a modern Hemi engine/transmission .... first thing he did was cut off the subframe and graft a modern one on to it .... at least it is a V8 and has room for the engine .... the transmission tunnel still needs work .... actually I think the D100 has a flat floor and no tunnel, the newer larger transmission needed a tunnel.

How good are you with electrical? Your going to have some electrical issues to modify and make work.

The honest brutal answer is, if you have to ask you are probably not qualified to do the job.

That does not mean you cant learn to do the job. .... Will be a long term project.
I have a 1949 Dodge project truck since 2018 ..... I had zero experience welding .... I had to buy a welder and teach myself to weld .... I did as much work as I could on the truck with no welding ... on the side I taught myself to fabricate and weld .... there was a time where I would not weld on the truck ..... then there was a time I just felt confident in my skills and just jumped in and did it.

So that's my thoughts, you can do it, it may take a while to get it done .... there are probably easier engine transmission choices available .... just do what you want.

Old Today, 08:43 PM
u2slow
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not familiar enough with the V10 to know if there are generational changes that interfere with ECM choice.

As for engine length.... I figure the cummins rad support tricks could be employed.

Old Today, 09:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,363 Likes on 3,105 Posts

Originally Posted by u2slow
I'm not familiar enough with the V10 to know if there are generational changes that interfere with ECM choice.

As for engine length.... I figure the cummins rad support tricks could be employed.
I don't think the V-10 is as long as the cummins..... but, can't swear to that.

The only generational changes were to the electronics that ran the engine/trans. I don't think the engines themselves changed at all.

And yeah, a 440 would most certainly be easier.

The following users liked this post:
Los_Control (Today)

Quick Reply: 76 D100 swap 8.0