Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

07 cummins, emissions controll

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:03 PM
mileshuff
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 cummins, emissions controll

Dodge offered me a 6yr/60K maxicare extended warranty. I did not really ask for anything or threatento lemon law it. I just said I was tired of bringing it in.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:05 PM
tinspot

I bought the truck with o down. Its been in the shop almost once a week and sometimes twice a week since I've had it. I can't get my dealer or dodge on the phone. I've sent endless emails explaining my problem. I really don't think dodge knows how to fix it. The system is over a year old with numerous problems. I've asked to have their engineer explain the system to me, but no response. I've asked the service departments to explain it to me, but they just change the parts out and don't understand the theory. Why can't I just take the truck back and toss them the keys. I'm serious, after I faxed a letter to my dealer, they won't return my call. Dodge has got to know they have a design flaw. Why not tell everyone they will fix the problem at their expense as long as you own the car. "Deceptive"

Old 04-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Mayfair
Legend

WOW Tin this really BLOWS !!

If I were you, I'd start to doccument everything including conversations and with who and prepare to contact Dodge directly. After that, I'd get in contact with a lemon law attorney. I'm pretty sure it's 3 strikes and it's done still. If you've had your Ram in the shop 3x's and it hasn't been fixed yet I'm pretty sure the law is on your side.

I know this sucks and all, but PLEASE keep us up to speed as to what's happening !! The more informed we are, the better prepared we are should something like this happen again.

Thanks !!

Old 04-26-2008, 09:29 AM
tinspot

A nice man from Dodge called me in response to my emails. He is trying to help out. I think they know the gravity of the problem with the Cummins 6.7 emissions controll. I think the 08 has the same set up which = the same problems. Trying to be objective, does anyone thinkthe current system will be fixed or will Cummins/Chrysler design a new system and issue a recall? I rebuild old cadillacs, the cars i get from California have major carbon & sludge problems compared to cars I get elswhere. I remove the smog pump, egr valve, & plug the ports on the heads. The carb set up need to be changed After removing the intake manifold and drip pan the inside of the engine is exposed. You can't believe the sludge and carbon inside. The Cummins system is somewhat similar but part of it is water cooled. While not in direct contact with the carbon the tempeture variation in the chambers can produce condinsate which = sludge = carbon caked to the turbo = impossible for the particulate filter to regenerate. Thats just my theory. I'm open for ideas and would embrace "facts". I think Dodge is trying, but if the dog won't hunt, why feed it? Those of you with the o2 sensor coming on pay attention. Its on because there "is" carbonin the system theservice departments are "not" cleaning the system and looking for collateral carbon, sludge and damage. Remember this system will seldom reginerate. The dealers aren't a lot of help to Dodge. I lucked out and found a good one on the third try! Bottom line most of the carbon &contaminates are staying in the engine = 2010 emissions compliance!

Old 04-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Az2500Cummins08

I have an 08 with 6300 miles on the odo, and I have not had any problems with the engine at all. I have not heard of anyone with an 08 who has had problems. I am gonna assume its just the 07 with the prob. It is the first batch of a brand new system that nobody knows anything about. They had to learn as the go, and the consumers have to pay the price.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:22 PM
tinspot

Thanks for the information. I posted that message Saturday morning. I got the truck out of the shop friday afternoon late. We close our business at noon on Saturday. My light came on after I started back to the house. Going to Church tonight. Might be just what I need. Needless to say I know where I'll be Monday. If nothing else the Dodge/Cummins is consistant! Yep I'd say six trips to the shop in less than three months is consistant!

Old 04-27-2008, 12:23 AM
tinspot

Looking for an 06 ram 2500 5.9 cummins, long bed, auto, power, air cruse power windows & door locks etc any color, won't pay retail

Old 04-27-2008, 12:29 AM
tinspot

What is the differance between the 07 & 08 emission controll on 6.7 cummins?

Old 04-27-2008, 08:31 PM
tinspot

is the 08 emissions dif from the 07?

Old 04-29-2008, 10:14 PM
tinspot

I have seven customers with 08 ram/cummins 6.7's. They are having exactly ths same problems my 07 has. If the emissions light comes on there are several things that are going wrong at the same time. 1-carbon is being built up in the turbo, exaust valves and particulate filter. 2- diesel is being dumped in the engine oil. Start checking the dip stick for any gain. Any after market system "will not" aid in the regineration process of the particulate filter. At best it will let you know the ststus of the regineration process, but will not inhance the workings of the system. As of today Chrysler has no concrete fix for this problem. If you believe there will be a fix this year it won't happen. I took mine back monday and started looking for an 06-5.9. Double check your state lemon law. If you except an extended warranty you may not be able to use the lemon law. Bottom line the 6.7 is a substandard engine with major design flaws!

Quick Reply: 07 cummins, emissions controll