Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Any tips for a new truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Max_simons
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips for a new truck?

Hi guys, I'm looking at a 99 with a cummins 24 valve and the automatic tranny. i have read in other posts about the crappy lift pumps and possible cracked blocks. The truck has a superchip already and i am wondering what i should be lookingfor before i decide on it. How to tell what lift pump it has....how to check the trans... any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Old 04-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Watermelon
Captain
Default RE: Any tips for a new truck?

First, check the block and make sure it is not the 53.Then go for a test drive and romp down on it and see if the tranny slips. And smell the tranny fluid to check if it is burnt. And the lift pump..... Just try tolocate the original owner and ask him if it has been replaced. Myself personally,I try to steer away from any diesel that has been chipped up unless it is mine. Just for the simple fact that more than likely it has been beat on and the egt's have been blown off of the charts.Try to find some retired guy that uses his to pull a 5'er and is to Tight to buy a chip or any mod. With the fuel prices there is plenty of CTD's getting dumped back on the market, so take your time and find one that is original and do the mods yourself

Old 04-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Max_simons
Default RE: Any tips for a new truck?

thank you very much for your input. I am trying to find a decent truck that i can trade my mustang in on, and wont change my payments a whole lot. it's difficult! i will see what i can find, a 6 spd would be nice to, but you never know what is out there, thanks again!

Quick Reply: Any tips for a new truck?