Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

CTD forum support

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CTD forum support

73, I've actually tried to drive 55, I really did, however I quickly entered the UN-Safety zone. If I would have continued to drive @ 55 mph, I'd be in a neckbrace toady crying over my totaled out Ram.

There's no way in hell I can drive 55 and survive - NO WAY !!

Old 04-24-2008, 06:16 PM
mopar1973man
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CTD forum support

Hmmm... Big City fools... I'm glad I live out in the sticks along a highway where the dog take nap in the hot afternoons and the cars drive around them.

But seriously... try to shave off 5 MPH to what ever the post speed is. That will amount to a saving too... I just wish the FED's would reduce the speed to 55 MPH like it was in the 70's... Since no one here can change the price of fuel or barrel of oil. But we all can change our driving habits to help save what we can.

Like here I might take the old highway road which are old narrow 2 lane road. Most of it posted 25-35 MPH and take a slower ride home. I do this more so at night for safety reasons. Smacking a deer a 55 MPH does more damage than tapping a deer a 25-35 MPH...

The secret I found is that all gasoline vehilces (OBD II or newer) will always try to keep the fuel ratio at 14.7:1 ratio regardless of the throttle position. So if I was rolling down a 6% grade at 55 MPH with my foot off the throttle I would be still flowing enough fuel to keep that 14.7:1 ratio. But now with a diesel we are not bound by that design. We can cut all fuel flow but dropping the throttle. So using the same above I would be using NO FUEL at all down the same grade in a diesel. So know I try to let nature do the work for me. I take it light and easy up grade and let gravity take me back down netting me a huge savings...

So for you Mayfair your going to have to figure a bit out... Maybe a change in route to work or times your on the highways... Etc... Just trying to help you the most I can... I know fuel cost are killing us...[:'(]

Quick Reply: CTD forum support