Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

CDL license.Do you think you should have 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 12:09 PM
donnie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CDL license.Do you think you should have 1

ORIGINAL: energinerbuzzy

Anyone here that can tell me what a "Pickle Park" is, knows what I am talking about!!

Yea, it has to do with a roadside rest area.
Correct??

Old 04-26-2008, 01:38 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

The "C" in CDL stand for commercial. If you are pulling commercial (for money or a business) then you don't need one. We went through this crap in TN about 3 years ago with our horse trailers.

Now the plates on your truck are a different story. You must get the proper registration for the weight you pull. We found out the hard way that the regular plates you get for a truck or car are only good up to 8000 pounds. Some of us got tickets for being 20k+ and having regular old plates. The judge did dismiss the weight tickets in court because the Barny Phife that wrote them looked at the gross weight stickers on the trucks and trailers and figured we were over weight by that alone. The judge ripped Barny a new one in court and told him not to issue any more weight tickets until he has a portable scale and is trained how to use it.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Horseman
Rookie

It must be different state to state, call your local DMV and get the right info for yours. I have a 12 yard dump truck with Wa. farm plates and a CDL isn't requiredaslong as it's not being used commercialy,while in Or. it is. The first time I saw a PU pulling a camp trailer with a boat and trailerbehind thecamp trailer I thought what the hell, that ain't legal, well in Or. Wa. it isn't but it is in Idaho. Sowith Idaho plates he was legal here also. Still looked crazy as hell ta me, but I guessit's whatever you'reused to.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:51 PM
ramit03

I just figure if you have a CDL you wont have to be worried about traveling through states....too much to loose if you are in an accident in a state that require it or if you get pulled over.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

I'm in maryland and have my Cdl. You dont need a cdl to tow a race trailer or rv but you must have a non commercial A licence to tow any trailer over 10,000 pounds. In the past coupe of years they have gotten very strict with things as pickups and traiers have gotten increasingly large.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:12 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Get the new endorsment on your license as in some states if you get caught over driving and your weight is over 26,000 Lbs they can impound your truck and trailer. Oh lets not forget the big fine for not having the proper license to drive your truck over 26K or what may happedn if you egt in a wreck and not have the proper license endorsment.

Its up to you if you have the extra cash to take a chance of having your truck taken from you, pay the ticket, the tow bill and the impound fees to get your truck back.

JMHO

Old 04-27-2008, 03:22 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quote:

Anyone here that can tell me what a "Pickle Park" is, knows what I am talking about!!
Correct??
I'll bet it's got something to do with "Lot Lizards" though

Old 04-27-2008, 05:17 PM
73Jim
Veteran

I’m in the same boat. I’ve got to get what the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia call a "non-commercial class A" license. If you tow a bumper pull over 10K, a 5er over 15K or two trailers you need a non-commercial class A. The funny think is I called the DMV and they verified that I need one. I asked how do I get one and they told me I need to take the written test and then a road test. A road test, with what? I asked. With your truck and your trailer, they said. So I said you want me to tow my trailer, which I don’t have the license to tow, to the DMV to take a driving test? The response was a confused and condescending, YES?! Like I didn’t understand what was going on. Where do they get these people!

Old 04-27-2008, 06:21 PM
roadking096
Professional

ORIGINAL: gtxpooch

quote:

Correct??
I'll bet it's got something to do with "Lot Lizards" though

Rest areas are notorious for homosexual hangouts hence " pickle parks". Lot lizards need not apply there

I would stop at the next open weigh station ( not in the rig in question) and ask them. They are the ones with all the rules and the people who enforce them.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:03 AM
RamItOne

ORIGINAL: ramit03

I just figure if you have a CDL you wont have to be worried about traveling through states....too much to loose if you are in an accident in a state that require it or if you get pulled over.

yeah you would think that reciprocity would kick in if youre just passing through... oh well...thats the dmv for ya, Mass doesnt allow temp tags in their state, so like if youre passing through with the new car you bought in concord nh that has dealer temps tags down to hartford ct and you drive through Mass, BAM tickets out the ***...