Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

CDL license.Do you think you should have 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 04:59 PM
ramit03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDL license.Do you think you should have 1

My son and i got pulled over by DOT when were pulling the trailer.My son has his CDL class A.,but i don't have a CDL.
The Cop said the law is if your combined GVWR is over 26,000 lbs.(truck and Trailer) you must have CDL,also if the Trailer GVWR is over 10.000 lbs. you need a CDL,also if the total length is over 60' you need a CDL.
Well my trailer is 18,000 lbs GVWR and my 3500 is about 10,000 LBS (I think so) so that put me at 28,000 lbs.

So my truck and trailer need to have a CDL Driver.

By the way,he pulled us over because of a blown tail light,but he was checking my son's License..

Nick.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: CDL license.Do you think you should have 1

Get the combo weighed at a truck stop and you'll know for sure where you're at and wether or not to worry. Personally if it were me, I wouldn't bother, but then again, I wouldn't follow MY example.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:46 PM
handymanherb
Banned

I guess it depends on the state, in Florida if it's personal use it doesn't apply, using it for bussiness you need it.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: handymanherb

in Florida if it's personal use it doesn't apply, using it for bussiness you need it.

That's pretty much what I thought aswell

Old 04-25-2008, 05:52 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Get the combo weighed at a truck stop and you'll know for sure where you're at and wether or not to worry. Personally if it were me, I wouldn't bother, but then again, I wouldn't follow MY example.
LMAO!

Old 04-25-2008, 06:07 PM
ramit03

I am in Florida, spoke with DOT on the phone they said it is not base on commercial or private use, the GVWR is what determine it you need a CDL.. I use my for personal use (Hobie).

They said you can't be driving a 18 Wheller for personal use with out CBL.. that why they put a GVWR and length on the Trucks.

Not sure what the other State laws are.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:14 PM
RamItOne

simple simple, since youre only 2 grand over, pop of the 3 and put a 2 so it says 2500 and bam your under the GVWR

Old 04-25-2008, 07:13 PM
mytowrig
Captain

just remember, one you get the class A, you are held to a much higher standard. even if you are just driving a little car, if you get tickets, penalties are a lot stiffer.. including loss of any kind of license

Old 04-25-2008, 07:33 PM
RamItOne

ORIGINAL: mytowrig

just remember, one you get the class A, you are held to a much higher standard. even if you are just driving a little car, if you get tickets, penalties are a lot stiffer.. including loss of any kind of license
wow wouldnt have thought that... one word of advice, yall prolly realize this more than car people, but i youre pulling a refer with a 40,000 pound load its gonna take several football fields to stop from highway speeds. i hate seeing people that get in front of trucks, at night ill always give them the curtesy blinker and wait for them to flash their lights... and also folks, when a semi has their blinker on, help em out by flashing your lights, its a pita judging that crap, and dont worry, youll get a friendly light flash for doing it...

Old 04-25-2008, 10:24 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

Get the CDL and be done with it. I have had one for 4-5 years now. Once you have it....you don't have to worry about are you legal or not. Ive been pulled over 3 times since having it. Not one ticket. Warning for doing about 67 in a 55 in my old explorer. (running late for class) Warning for doing 76 in a 70 on the interstate. I think the cop was just bored that day, cause people were flying by me. I had a few bales of hay fall off a trailer I was towing with my CTD last fall. The officer told me he wouldn't mail me a ticket if I picked the bales up on my way back. He was really nice....I could/should have been fined for having a "leaky load". I know some cops are dicks when they see you have a CDL and others don't want to "tarnish your record". So far I've been lucky. Since getting my CDL I find myself checking the vehicles I drive much more carefully. Things like lights, tires, brakes, suspension, couplers, trailer brakes, ect.....
[align=left] [/align]