Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Going to go and have a look at this tomorrow ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:03 PM
roadking096
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Going to go and have a look at this tomorrow ...

I appreciate your offer to answer questions. I think I'll stick to mounting them on the forks. I got a set of stand offs from drag specialities. I'm waiting to empty the tank and I'm gonna mount them move the wiring inside the bars and move the ignition to the dash ( I hate the key on the fork lock).
I love the look of the apes. This is my first bike with them and so far I love it. Just wish I could get out more than once a week.
I guess you've been on summer blend for a while. I only fill up every couple of months and forget other people actually drive their trucks more than 5 miles a week.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:14 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

Donny, those things are SICK!! DAMN MAN! I wouldn't be able to get off that thing once I got on it!

Old 04-28-2008, 08:19 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Mayfair, I gotta say you can pickup a nice lil econobox car for like 1-3k really easy and get better gas mileage and still invest the other 4-6k you got back into your pocket for your truck or a little mods for the econobox...

Did a quick search on Cars.com (30 miles range from zipcode 19131 - Philly) with a max of 3k price

1985 Toyota Pickup - 101k - $1750(gets almost 30mpg) bedliner, 1 owner

1992 Toyota Camry XLE - 85k - $2500 (should get around 25-30mpg) sunroof, leather, power everything

1986 Nissan Pickup 4x4 - 121k - $2600 (should get above 20mpg)

1999 Dodge Neon Highline - 116k - $2500(should get above 25mpg)

2002 Dodge Neon - 156k - $3000 (should get above 25mpg)

If all your really interested in is getting better mpg's... I'd go look at the Neon and the Toyota pickup. My parents have a Datsun pickup (Nissan) and it's got the 240ZX motor in it.....gets about 30-35mpg...and its pretty quick too..

Old 04-28-2008, 08:31 AM
woligator
Record Breaker

since about 3 week im getting about 60 more mile out of a tank,so maybe summer blend is the cause as stated by roadking

Old 04-28-2008, 08:32 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker

I will have to agree with those who say get a cheaper car to drive. Heck i had a 1992 Dodge Dynasty with a big V6 that could get 23+ MPG or my wifes 90 Dodge sprite that had a 4 cly and it got 33+ MPG. So save your self the big bucks by not buying the fancy Xb and get a nice older car that gets good MPG.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I hear what you guy's are saying about getting a beater, and yeah, if I thought for a minute that this whole gas thing was a temporary situation then I'd agree with you, however I don't think it's a temporary thing at all. I think we're in this price bracket for a LONG time, so I don't think that getting a beater is the right choice. I need something that is not only economical, but also RELIABLE. The last thing that I want is to be stuck on the side of the road with some cheap azz beater car. I'd take a bat to that thing in a NY minute, and then I'd be right back to where I'm at right now.

I'm really diggin the fact that I got 17mpg out of my last tank. I hope it wasn't a fluke.

Also, I seem to notice that the gap between diesel and regular gas is closing a bit. Did you guy's notice that in your areas as well?

Old 04-28-2008, 03:17 PM
cujo
Captain

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Also, I seem to notice that the gap between diesel and regular gas is closing a bit. Did you guy's notice that in your areas as well?
In Central MD diesel has been holding around $4.25, regular gas has shot up to $3.65, over 40 cents in the last week or so. Damn, they got you by the ***** either way.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:26 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

I hear what you guy's are saying about getting a beater, and yeah, if I thought for a minute that this whole gas thing was a temporary situation then I'd agree with you, however I don't think it's a temporary thing at all. I think we're in this price bracket for a LONG time, so I don't think that getting a beater is the right choice. I need something that is not only economical, but also RELIABLE. The last thing that I want is to be stuck on the side of the road with some cheap azz beater car. I'd take a bat to that thing in a NY minute, and then I'd be right back to where I'm at right now.
My parents bought their Datsun pickup for $5 from a family friend. They've spent about $1200 on the truck. New shocks, tires, some minor maintenance (plugs, wires, oil change, etc) and they also bought new seats and carpet for the interior.

Now, obviously I would suggest getting ANYTHING you buy used looked over by a mechanic....but if you can get a beater with a good motor in it and in overall decent shape for less then 2-3k, why wouldnt you do it? Especially if you say only had to dump about a grand into it to move it from okay shape to great shape.

I've got a Camry wagon that my parents gave me. It looks like crap, the interior is trashed, but the car runs like a champ and has over 140k on it. Just spent about $500 on it for general maintenance and new tires.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:21 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Take your time and look around to see if you can find and older car with under 100K on it. When I sold my 1992 Dynasty it only had 94K on it and the wife's 1990 had 110K so there are cars around with low miles. Heck the other day I saw a 2001 extra cab Dodge 1500 with only 36K on it.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

....but if you can get a beater with a good motor in it and in overall decent shape for less then 2-3k, why wouldnt you do it?
Well ... I guess it's because I honestly don't want to hafta get one at all, so if I have to get someting to drive daily, I want to be able to enjoy it as much as my Ram. The last thing that I want to be in is a situation where I'm driving some piece of CRAP that I HATE and I'm driving it solely because I can't afford to drive my Ram. That would just kill me. There aren't many cars out there that I really like other than the XB's and the Mini Coopers. Nothing else really turns me on unless it's a slammed ricer of some sort. That's why I was looking at teh XB's. I'm still back and forth about it though. If I can continue to get 17 mpg, I'll hold off for a while.

We'll see ...

In the meantime - check this out ...

Quick Reply: Going to go and have a look at this tomorrow ...