Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

ATS

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ATS

I have to agree with the statement above. For what you're looking at or for, you shouldn't be spending more than 5K. I still think you should go with Suncoast, especially since they're in your backyard.

If you're planning on boosted launches.... you not only need the input but, you definitely need a intermediate also. Lanuching in 4x will destroy the stock one in no time.

For 7K you could be in a full billet / triple disk & VB from Suncoast.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:56 AM
justviper1
Veteran

guys im not sure of what you mean by boosted launches? sorry for the lack of knowledge. i usually just stomp on it and go.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:47 AM
4x4fantasy
Professional

A boosted launch is when you hold the brake, apply enough gas to build up enough pressure on the turbo, then let go of the brake. In essence, launching your vehicle WITH boost from the turbo. When you launch from idle, you have to wait until you are going fast enough to build boost pressure, but by using the "stall" method (hold the brake, hit the gas, let go of brake) you can generate instant power!

Very hard on parts, but very exciting as well.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:34 PM
ga_noplugs

ORIGINAL: triton

If you're planning on boosted launches.... you not only need the input but, you definitely need a intermediate also. Lanuching in 4x will destroy the stock one in no time.

So does that include 2 wheel boosted "launches" where you just want to smoke the tires ? Or is it mainly the 4 wheel launches where the tires dont let loose?
R

Old 05-02-2008, 04:07 PM
4x4fantasy
Professional

Anytime you will have traction (4wd or 2wd with slicks, drag radials, etc.) you will want to upgrade more of your transmission internals. If you will be mostly street and want to burn the tires off, drift, go muddin, etc., then you wont need to upgrade as much.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:25 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ga_noplugs

ORIGINAL: triton

So does that include 2 wheel boosted "launches" where you just want to smoke the tires ? Or is it mainly the 4 wheel launches where the tires dont let loose?
R
2wd or 4wd launching is gonna really put some strain on the input shaft. 4wd is putting a lot of strain on the intermediate. All of it puts a strain on the output.

If you're wanting to do burn outs by power braking, that's gonna really strain the TQ to where if not built will start slipping from being glazed.

Bottom line.... our trucks weren't built to do what we're doing with them and you MUST pay to play. IMHO, you should at least have a TQ, VB and input if you're going to do any kind of hot rodding. Expect to have more issues down the road if you do it a lot. Even a completely built trans will have issues. Stuff don't last forever :-)

Old 05-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Bigriver

ORIGINAL: speakle

Ats seems kinda overpriced.
When I was at the crossroads of deciding between Suncoast and ATS, I called for quotes from both. To spend about 6 grand plus tax and install, ATS offered me more equipment. I'm speaking of the torque conveter controller (Co-Pilot) in the cab. To compare the internal and exterior parts, ATS advertised their 5 disc converter compared to Suncoast's 3 disc. Also, I liked ATS's flex plate better than Suncoast. I'm not sure what Suncoast's deep dish pan was like, but I favored the one that ATS offered.

I don't know what todays market prices are going for, it was almost this time last year that I upgraded. Also, the dealership that ordered and installed the transmission cut me alot of slack on the price. He didn't just offer the job at full msrp.

No matter which company you go with, it will be a vast improvement over the stock.
Guess it just comes down to personal preference and who do you happen to trust or like.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Twoforme2
Veteran

You can do whatever you want as it is your money, but I see way more bad news about ATS stuff and even moreso their customer service than I do any of the other tranny places. I am not sure if there are many that pay for their own parts that use ATS.

PLUS their prices are higher than any of the other names I see floating around (Goerend, HTS, DTT, Suncoast). I think for 7k you could get a complete tranny with billet shafts front to back TC, flex plate, and VB and may have some change left.

Might I also suggest you look at what some of the guys running BIG HP use, I don't know if there are any using a PURPLE tranny. At least none that are buying their own parts.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Twoforme2
Veteran

I think I missed the point of your post, I am guessing you are trying NOT to spend $7K.
My local guy that is an installer for Goerend gave me a price of 3500 for TC, VB, Billet input, and flexplate, apply strap and lever, for 2k more we could add billet intermediate and output.
Obviously there is ALOT more teardown required to replace those.

It was explained to me that if you want to do Boosted launches then you need intermediate.