Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Trans Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Aero Ram
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Upgrade

Well I ran through my options and want some opinions.

Instead of going to either suncoast or ATS having Webb Trans (who started Suncoast) install everything. Shift Kit (Valve body), Tq. Convertor, and Input shaft all Suncoast and toss in an ATS flexplate (never heard any bad about it, heard of 2 guys busting Suncoast Flexplates).

All for right around $3450 where Suncoast's shop said $4200.

ATS said around $3600 w/o the input shaft, and I'd have to drive 5 hours to get there....

Whats do you all think.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:11 PM
cumminalong
Default RE: Trans Upgrade

Are you having them rebuild your tranny or are you getting a new one?

If that is the price with a new tranny, it sounds good, but if they aren't rebuilding it with all new parts and just adding the valve body and the input shaft, it sounds high.

The price I got from Suncoast for a new tranny w/ input, int, & output, TC, flex plate and Magtech pan was $6300 installed and out the door.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Bigriver

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

The price I got from Suncoast for a new tranny w/ input, int, & output, TC, flex plate and Magtech pan was $6300 installed and out the door.
Rich, unless I'm mistaken, a year ago Suncoast quoted around 6k before tax and install, for what you described, less the imtermediate and output shaft. Thats sounds like a good deal there. Ya might want to re-confirm that quote, AreoRam was mis-quoted by them only to given a different total.

I'd hate to see ya get pissed and wup out that new 1911 on em'

Old 05-07-2008, 02:35 PM
cumminalong

I'll give them a call again and re-confirm. I specifically went over the stuff I wanted with him, both in the e-mail and over the phone. I'll be driving down on Tuesday and dropping the truck off on Weds morning.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

Big Rivers right on I was quoted $3200 for a TC, VB, Input, Flex and tranny inspection (to make sure I hadn't messed that up). Took it there to have it done and the final bill would have been $4250+ he said he "forgot" to add TAX, LABOR, and FLUIDS!!!

I'm gonna take it into dodge, I turned the smarty back to stock and wanna run a tank through it just to be sure everything is readjusted before they look at it. I'll let them inspect it and replace w/e is needed in hopes my tranny is still good. If not they hopefully replace it.

I'm gonna have the upgrades done at Webb Trans which started suncoast, said he will actually drive 2blocks to suncoast and by the parts from his dad, and put them in for less and at a lower cost because he isn't "SUNCOAST"

He will look over the trans and see how it looks, if alll is good he will install a shift kit which I believe is the same as doing a VB? Top it off with a TC, Flex (pry ATS) and Input shaft...

Old 05-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Hilbili

I am in the process of researching a new tranny for my 02. I've got an authorized ATS dealer locally and he quoted 5200.00 for trans, tq, and billet input. I talked to a goerand authorized dealer about an hour away and he quoted 5100.00 for the same. I think I will go with the Goerand due to allthe board discussions I've read on here and 3 other boards I'm on. The only thing is I will have to provide my own AMSOIL to the goerand guy because he uses standard Dodge ats fluid where the ATS guy uses AMSOIL to service his new tranny's. So, it will probably be close to a wash on the cost.

Quick Reply: Trans Upgrade