Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Oil bubble to burst?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Buford445
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil bubble to burst?

I have a 25ft 5r, I just bought a "06" CTD, but I did that because work SUCKS in Mich SO I have to Travel to AK,ILL,IND,OH and where the work is and live in my 5r, NOT complaning to much I DID GET A CTD out of it hahahaha!

Old 05-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Mayfair
Legend

You're a traveling electrician?

That's pretty cool. I'm sure there's plenty of work in Vegas

Old 05-21-2008, 04:10 PM
UpBranchLiner

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob

I know my profit margin is in the toilet. My vacation plans with the new camper are keeping me within 100 miles of home.
Same here. We are not going to any competitions that are more than a 3 hour drive from the house.
Ive notice attendence at rodeo's, horse shows, etc has really taken a beating. My neighbor does team roping and he says it isnt too tough to win because there are less guys showing up.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Buford445
Professional

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

You're a traveling electrician?

That's pretty cool. I'm sure there's plenty of work in Vegas

Ya not to bad , it has kept me working, I just got a job in Perioa ILL. @ a PowerHouse it will keep going untill work @ home breaks. Vegas is jst a little far rite now but ya its got a lota work

Old 05-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

ORIGINAL: al5608

Has anybody heard about this. I bro was telling me earlier today. Economist are saying the oil bubble is about to burst and when this happens, prices should come back down. How much, who know's.They were talking about the tech bubble in the 90's that burst, the housing bubble that just burst, and now the oil bubble were in right now. Probably getting my hopes up for no good reason, but it sounded interesting. Just wondering if anybody else has heard about this?
I seriously doubt the "oil bubble" is about to burst. It's not like the housing market. Unlike tech stocks in 2000, or Florida condominiums, the market for crude oil is not artificially high. It's a market price, where the quantity demanded equals the quantity supplied.

Maybe if we could pressure OPEC to open the valve a little more, the supply increases and the price drops for a given quantity demanded. These high oil prices are killing our economy, and I'm afraid it will get worse before it gets better.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:22 AM
al5608
Professional

Well from what economist say, it is artificially high, from so much speculation investors have put on it. Last I heard, speculation has drivin it up 30 dollars a barrel.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:31 AM
reed
Veteran

Even if the United States were somehow able to reduce our consumption enough to reduce world wide demand, other countries demand would simply increase offsetting our reduction. If I drove a Hummer, every time I saw someone in a Prius, I'd have to go up to them and say "Hey, just wanted to thank you for saving fuel so that I have enough gas for my Hummer." While at first that sounds like a joke, its really true.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:36 AM
RamItOne

The supply demand is bs. Oil is price inelastic. The theory of supply and demand is that you raise price to reduce demand to equal the amount of your supply. If you have only 10 widgets and at x price you could sell 12 units (but you don't have those extra 2 widgets so raise your price, so at x+1 price you can only sell 10 widgets. This works on price elastic goods, do you really think you consumptin has really been limited due to the prices, sure we may cut back the useless run to the store for a few items, but the bulk of out consumption has stayed the same.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Bigriver

The link below describes a bleak outlook by an energy advisor that has been around.

The nuts and bolts of this is rationing at $12.00 to $15.00 per gal.

http://www.businessandmedia.org/arti...521145247.aspx

Here's the article:

It may be the mother of all doom and gloom gas price predictions: $12 for a gallon of gas is “inevitable.” Robert Hirsch, Management Information Services Senior Energy Advisor, gave a dire warning about the potential future of gas prices on CNBC’s May 20 “Squawk Box”. He told host Becky Quick there was no single thing that would solve the problem, due to the enormity of the problem. [/align]“[T]he prices that we’re paying at the pump today are, I think, going to be ‘the good old days,’ because others who watch this very closely forecast that we’re going to be hitting $12 and $15 per gallon,” Hirsch said. “And then, after that, when oil – world oil production goes into decline, we’re going to talk about rationing. In other words, not only are we going to be paying high prices and have considerable economic problems, but in addition to that, we’re not going to be able to get the fuel when we want it.” Hirsch told the Business & Media Institute the $12-$15 a gallon wasn’t his prediction, but that he was citing Charles T. Maxwell, described as the “Dean of Oil Analysts” and the senior energy analyst at Weeden & Co. Still, Hirsch admitted the high price was inevitable in his view. “I don’t attempt to predict oil prices because it’s been impossible in the past,” Hirsch said in an e-mail. “We’re into a new era now, and over the next roughly five years the trend will be up significantly.However, there may be dips and bumps that no one can forecast; I wouldn’t be at all surprised.To me the multi-year upswing is inevitable.” Maxwell’s original $12-15-a-gallon prediction came in a February 5 interview with Energytechstocks.com, a Web site run by two former Wall Street Journal staffers. “[Maxwell] expects an oil-induced financial crisis to start somewhere in the 2010 to 2015 timeframe,” Energytechstocks.com reported. “He said that, unlike the recession the U.S. appears to be in today, ‘This will not be six months of hell and then we come out of it.’ Rather, Maxwell expects this financial crisis to last at least 10 or 12 years, as the world goes through a prolonged period of price-induced rationing (eg, oil up to $300 a barrel and U.S. pump prices up to $15 a gallon).” According to associate of Maxwell at Weeden & Co., Maxwell is out of the country and currently unavailable for comment. Maxwell’s biography on the Weeden & Co. Web site said he “has been ranked by the U.S. financial institutions as the No. 1 oil analyst for the years 1972, 1974, 1977 and 1981-1986,” according to polls taken by Institutional Investor magazine. “In addition, for the last 17 years he has been an active member of an Oxford-based organization comprised of OPEC and other industry executives from 30 countries who meet twice a year to discuss trends within the energy industry.” Although Maxwell’s prediction is for the long-term, not everyone supports high-end predictions, even in the short-term. CNBC contributor and the vice president of risk management for MF Global (NYSE:MF) John Kilduff said on “The Call” May 7that he expected gas prices to drop following the Chinese Olympics, as China’s economic boom slows down.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:30 AM
RamItOne

now I'm too young for this one, but what about 30 or so years ago when we had soaring gas prices, electric cars were becoming a viable alternative to the gassers, the oil guys over in the mid east slashed oil in half to kill the electric movement.
Ive got a post in OT titled "what I would do about oil prices" or something like that, on iPhone so can't copy paste.

Quick Reply: Oil bubble to burst?