Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:54 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fuel mileage

racerpete,

One other thought is to see what your fuel mileage is with out using any 2-cycle oil or other additives. Some engines see a loss in fuel mileage when using 2-cycle oil for some unknown reason. If you have a spare $15.00 go buy a quart of Lucas and pour 14 oz of it in to a full tank of fuel that does not have any other additives in it.

Then drive it (with some weight in the bed if you can do so easily) for about 3-4 hours non stop to clean up your injectors and any carbon that may be in the cylinders. Then see what your fuel mileage is with out any additives over the next 4 tanks and see if it improves or not so you can see if the lower mpg is from the additives or some other reason. Oh and drive like you do now and don’t use and of the fuel saving tips we’ve given so that it’s a fair test with and with out 2 cycle oil or any other additives like you use right now.

Being you will have 18 oz of Lucas left over after the 4 tanks of diesel with out any additives then put 6 oz of Lucas in the next 3 tanks. Then see what your fuel mileage is with Lucas for 3 tanks compared to the 4 tanks with out anything in it to see if using 6 oz of Lucas will help improve your fuel mileage or not. If you can do this and let me know (good or bad) as it would be more info for those who are have problems using 2-cycle oil.
l

Old 05-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Hiloram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fuel mileage

It seems to me I lost about 3MPG with the advent of ULSD

Quick Reply: fuel mileage