Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:31 PM
racerpete
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel mileage

Hi Guys:
I don't get much time to post things here, but read it as often as I can.
My question is: Has anybody else's fuel mileage dropped substantially since the first of the year and stayed down? I lostalmost 4mpg on the lie-o-meter, running empty, and while I know that is not accurate, it is a good indicater of what is happening. I thought it was just "winter fuel" syndrome, but my mileage has not started to go back up. I use "Drew's Brew" sometimes with MMO, sometimes with good 2 cycle.
The second Question is: I've read here that you should not drive a Cummins like a gas motor, and let the torque do the work not the horsepower. Explain, please.... I've got to haul a 27' trailer to the far side of Ohio and back, from here at the beautiful Jersey Shore (LOL) with 2 small cars in it, the first week of July. Any fuel savings tips would be greatly appreciated !
By the way it's an '05 2500 4x4dualcab with no performance mods.
Thanks

Old 05-20-2008, 01:40 PM
blownsoot
Default RE: fuel mileage

Keep the rpms below 2000, your torque peak is down around 1600 rpms, keeping the rpms down realy helps with fuel milage.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

with my first gen, it varies with old #2 LSD and the new ulsd (crapola). I still average 17 - 18 mpg

Old 05-20-2008, 09:40 PM
mopar1973man
Veteran

shoot... How about 21-23 MPG??? Here is some pics of it...

Just over a 1/4 tank used and travelled 272.0 miles...

Here is my stats from My ScanGauge II

MPH = Miles per hour (Speed)
MPG = Instant MPG reading
Cmg = Todays MPG
Tmg = Total MPG for the tank

The trick is to try and keep your pyrometer under 600*F and boost pressure below 5 PSI as much as possible...

Old 05-21-2008, 07:32 AM
racerpete
Amateur

Thanks for the info, guys! But my auto trans won't up-shift until right at or just over 2 thousand RPM's. No matter how gentle or how hard I'm on the loud pedal, it has to be near 2000 on the tach, even if I back off the throttle,and try to force an up-shift. Do I have a malfunction with the trans or computer ? Also 2000 RPM's is just about 70 MPH, if you run that slow here in jersey, you'll get run over by some 18 wheeler, or a soccer-mom in a huge SUV !
Guess I should have bought a stick shift.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:21 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker

With your trans in D it should shift in to OD between 48-52 MPH.
Your trans should shift by speed and Rpm’s and not just Rpm’s alone. It sounds like either your trans need adjusted or your keeping your foot in the go pedal so much that it keep the trans in 4th and not letting it shift in to OD (BTW, OD is short for Over Drive).

If I keep my Rpm's at 16-1800 and let the truck pick up speed at thoses Rpm's it will shift in to OD at 48 MPH. But if I was to keep my foot heavy on the go pedal and the Rpm’s at 2200 or so it will not shift in to OD until I'm doing 55 MPH or faster and thus kill fuel mileage.

If you keep the Rpm's at or below 1800 until the truck gets up to speed and then keep them at or below 2,000 Rpm's it will help you get better fuel mileage. Also don't drive like your driving the Indy 500 and mash the go pedal. By letting the truck get up to speed while keeping the Rpm's low your using the TQ of the engien do the work to get you up to speed and thus better fuel mileage. Now if you keep your Rpm's up above 2,000 to get up to speed then your using the HP and that will lower your fuel mileage. One other way to look at it is to drive like you have an egg under your foot and if you press on it to hard it will Break.

One other thing keep your tires aired up also helps with your fuel mileage. I keep the front at 65 PSI and rear at 55 PSI when I'm empty or not hauling heavy weight in the bed and 70 PSI in all 4 if towing heavy.

You say if you drive slower then 70 MPH you will get run over you. You do have a choice to either drive at or below 70 MPH/at or under 2,000 Rpm’s and get better fuel mileage or you can drive faster get poor fuel mileage and then complain at how much more it cost to drive your truck. The choice is all yours to either get better fuel mileage and save $$ or drive faster and complain.

JMHO

Old 05-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Did you want me to watch your Jersey shore house for ya while you're away Pete?

Old 05-21-2008, 07:19 PM
8 lug

What's a silencer ring?

Old 05-22-2008, 07:32 AM
racerpete
Amateur

Thanks Guys!
I thought I was babying the truck, but I guess I need to drive more like the "Q-tips" around here do. I'll try your way for the next week or so, and let you know.
Mayfair, my shore place is 10 miles west of Seaside, might be too far for you to walk to the beach. But if you get in a bind and need some place to "Camp" let me know, as the Pa. house is just west of Cabalas' part way up the mountain.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:11 AM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: racerpete

Thanks Guys!
I thought I was babying the truck, but I guess I need to drive more like the "Q-tips" around here do. I'll try your way for the next week or so, and let you know.
Mayfair, my shore place is 10 miles west of Seaside, might be too far for you to walk to the beach. But if you get in a bind and need some place to "Camp" let me know, as the Pa. house is just west of Cabalas' part way up the mountain.
You're kidding right?!?!?!?! You just invited Donny to you're place.....You are a brave brave brave sole my dear man

And 8 Lug the 'Silencer ring' is on the turbo. On 5.9 3rd gen's it is just held in w/ snap rings so a lot of us pop it out to make the turbo louder. On the 6.7's it is spot welded and a complete PITA to remove. Not sure about the 2nd gens. Here is a DIY on it https://dodgeforum.com/m_591700/tm.htm

Quick Reply: fuel mileage