Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Why is Cummins far more superior?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 06:49 AM
rangerman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is Cummins far more superior?

O.K, I haven't been on this forum since I was I think 16 years old...and I'm almost 18. I was going to buy a Cummins but never did. Instead I just bought a motorcycle and with the looks of gas/diesel prices I am kinda glad. But I still want a Cummins...I love them to death.

My uncle used to own a 91 Cummins turbo diesel. Took that thing Hunting every year. Ran and drove great. Sold it and the owner then wrecked it. I finally saw it a month ago and know where it is parked. I'm seriously thinking about buying it back...although the whole right side is all rippled...but if it is cheap then who cares.

Now, I want to know more about the internals of the engine. Say I get into an argument with a Chevy guy who says Duramax are better. I want to blow him away stating how Cummins internals are better. I6's are better than v8's anyway. I can't remember which one has 5 and which one has 7 main bearings. My guess would be the Cummins has more main bearings. And it is more internally balanced. Providing a smooth engine. Some people tell me that Cummins cheats because it has a turbo on it. It's like WTF??? They don't cheat...they don't have big displacement like others.

Thanks for your help!

Old 05-25-2008, 07:38 AM
cumminalong
Default RE: Why is Cummins far more superior?

Well, for starters, they all have good and bad points. Bottom line is that the Cummins is THE most reliable light duty diesel engine.

But, for arguements sake....

1 - The Cummins has about 30% less moving parts than a comparable V8 diesel. Less to go wrong and most of the parts are larger.

2 - They all use turbo's. Without turbo's, any of the big 3 diesels will make around 150 HP and somewhere in the 400 lb / ft TQ range. If he's talking about the older diesel (i.e. GM's 6.5L or Ford's N/A 7.3), both of which were slugs, then yes Cummins uses a turbo whereas they didn't. They also didn't have jack for power and you don't see anybody going out of their way to scavenge one and turn it into a drag engine or sled puller. You see LOTS of old 12V Cummins though.

3 - D-Max's use aluminum heads. Not a bad material, but not ideal for a diesel.

4 - We won't even get started on Ford. The last GOOD dieselFord had was the 7.3.

5 - Tell him to go under the hood of any of the big 3 trucks........which one, by looking, would you be most comfortable / capable of working on?

6- Tell him to take a look at the OTR trucks and see if he can find a V8 powering any of them.

7- V8 diesel's are good for HP, inlines are good for TQ. HP is a measure of speed and is a theoretical number. TQ is what you feel and is an actual measurement. HP is based on TQ and RPM. The reason that V8's make good HP numbers is their RPM range is extended due to lighter cranks, pistons, connecting rods. But, this sacrifices low end TQ.

8- Tell him to look at this picture and see where he wants to put his money. To each their own......you earn it, you can spend it on whatever your heart fancies.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/BD76C3AB4C3A41029B202E395AA81C70.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-25-2008, 07:49 AM
Buford445
Professional

IMAO Cummins were built for diesel trucks, powerjokes, duracraps were built for gas trucks, built cheaper,lighter, less dependable

Old 05-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Bigriver

Here's some other ammo for ya.

On rare occasion, I've seen powerjoke's modified with cummins engines installed.
Can't say that I've ever seen a international engine in a dodge.

I guess Duramax is like the red headed stepchild, no one wants to intermingle with them.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:55 AM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Bigriver

I guess Duramax is like the red headed stepchild, no one wants to intermingle with them.
That's because a Japanese engine doesn't belong in an American truck!!

Friggin Isuzu!

[:'(]

Old 05-25-2008, 10:23 AM
BadRam1
Veteran

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Bigriver

That's because a Japanese engine doesn't belong in an American truck!!

Friggin Isuzu!

[:'(]
Its not Isuzu thats the problem. As much as it pains me to say it, its the bastardized American version aka Duramax that is the problem. Those old Isuzu trucks are crazy reliable. My dad's got an '06 Duramax. It seems as if every other day its in the shop. He's also got an '07 PSD F-350 which is even worse

Old 05-25-2008, 10:29 AM
cumminalong

Believe me, I know. Overseas that's almost all you see.

Those and Toyota diesels are in everything and they NEVER quit.

With all the emissions crap that is on the American versions, along with the LSD / ULSD, it kills them.

Now, the overseas versions don't have the same power output, but they run forever. Kinda like International's commercial version of the 6.0 vs. the PowerStroke version.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:23 PM
rangerman
Professional

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

Well, for starters, they all have good and bad points. Bottom line is that the Cummins is THE most reliable light duty diesel engine.

But, for arguements sake....

1 - The Cummins has about 30% less moving parts than a comparable V8 diesel. Less to go wrong and most of the parts are larger.

2 - They all use turbo's. Without turbo's, any of the big 3 diesels will make around 150 HP and somewhere in the 400 lb / ft TQ range. If he's talking about the older diesel (i.e. GM's 6.5L or Ford's N/A 7.3), both of which were slugs, then yes Cummins uses a turbo whereas they didn't. They also didn't have jack for power and you don't see anybody going out of their way to scavenge one and turn it into a drag engine or sled puller. You see LOTS of old 12V Cummins though.

3 - D-Max's use aluminum heads. Not a bad material, but not ideal for a diesel.

4 - We won't even get started on Ford. The last GOOD dieselFord had was the 7.3.

5 - Tell him to go under the hood of any of the big 3 trucks........which one, by looking, would you be most comfortable / capable of working on?

6- Tell him to take a look at the OTR trucks and see if he can find a V8 powering any of them.

7- V8 diesel's are good for HP, inlines are good for TQ. HP is a measure of speed and is a theoretical number. TQ is what you feel and is an actual measurement. HP is based on TQ and RPM. The reason that V8's make good HP numbers is their RPM range is extended due to lighter cranks, pistons, connecting rods. But, this sacrifices low end TQ.

8- Tell him to look at this picture and see where he wants to put his money. To each their own......you earn it, you can spend it on whatever your heart fancies.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/BD76C3AB4C3A41029B202E395AA81C70.jpg[/IMG]

Wow, this is a GREAT post. I can definitely use this to argue against my friends. I have a "basic" knowledge of Cummins...I just needed a bit more to make it sound like I know what I am talking about. My friends don't work on vehicles at all...and get there preceous Chevy v8's for free (not diesel)...but they all say Cummins sucks. I'm like WTF???

Anyway, my uncle sold his Cummins as I said in the first post. And bought an 01 or 02 Ford Diesel. Tranny has went out at 80k miles. Gets like 15mpg. It randomly dies. The fuel gauge does not work anymore. He hates it...lol.

Hope it doesn't sound gay...but I LOVE CUMMINS!!!

I think a 4bt would be so cool in my little truck...lol.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:32 PM
jakebrake
Champion

When was the last time you saw a durmax or an international powering a class 8 truck???

Old 05-25-2008, 07:51 PM
JR 06
Professional

Another advantage to an I6, they are naturally balanced engines, meaning that they don't need balance shafts and such, V8's on the other hand do.

Quick Reply: Why is Cummins far more superior?