Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

tire research question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:54 PM
mytowrig
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire research question

well, i gotta be a pain in the *** and go ahead and ask what is probably the millionth question about tires and wheels on the forum. i'm wanting to hear some feedback (lazy man's research) on a good (read: awesome) 37" tire for our trucks. by that i mean optimum width for proportion (i don;t care much for obtrusively wide tires such as 15" and i don;t care for bicycle tires either), a moderately aggressive tread pattern good in mud, snow, SAND, wet roads and dry roads, a good solid 10 ply, decent wear, and anything else that decides a tire worth buying. also, would there be a handling difference between a 17" or 18" wheel or any other contributing factors making one better than the other? i don't like bigger wheels cause i hate the bling (read: doushe (but take no offense if you have them)) factor unless there is an actual economical (disregarding of course the non-economical part of larger tires in the first place) or other viable reason for having them. finally, the optimal backspacing for the wheel as to prevent rubbing problems on the inside and keeping them from looking like dumbo ears on the outside. all this while maintaining a balance in handling and performance on and off the paved road... not too much to ask, right?

Old 05-30-2008, 10:03 PM
cumminalong
Default RE: tire research question

Can I get you a side of filet mignon with your steak tartar........

Old 05-30-2008, 10:04 PM
mytowrig
Captain

hells yeah

Old 05-30-2008, 11:24 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

Well man... I can only offer you the opinion I have of the Toyo M/T's... which is that they're f#$kin' awesome! Quiet, durable, can't get stuck in 'em (at least not as far as I dared to push the envelope), great tread pattern, even wear, E-Rated load... just plain tough. Had a screw stuck in the right rear tire and it didn't make it past the belts. I was impressed. Down side is the price.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:26 PM
savage.basher

I think my tires are performing really great so far, on and off the road. IMO they are a little on the skinny side, maybe a 13.50 would be better. If I went any wider I wouldn't want them to stick out any farther, so i would have been looking for a wheel with a 1" greater backspacing.

I kept the 17" wheels cause I like the big tire, smaller wheel look, but also for the cost side of it.

10 ply maybe hard to get in a 37" though, especially with the the tall sidewall if you are using the 17" wheel still. The tall side wall is also going to obviously give you a much looser feel on the highway... but t it is all worth it .

Old 05-30-2008, 11:35 PM
savage.basher

Here is the cheapest I have ever seen the toyo's.... not to bad.

http://www.performanceplustire.com/p...=17#prodAnchor

I think they are about 400-425 everywhere else??

Old 05-30-2008, 11:36 PM
mytowrig
Captain

dirtydodge: i was looking at the toyos and i liked what i saw... yeah, the price sucks. your wheels are 20" ? i like a little more rubber than that. can you get those to tuck in any further so you don't need flares?

traxxas.basher, um, i mean savage.basher are you running the procomps?

Old 05-30-2008, 11:55 PM
mytowrig
Captain

savage, that is a good deal on the tires, but shipping is 175 bucks![:'(]

Old 05-31-2008, 12:12 AM
savage.basher

Yeah I have the pro comp xtreme mud terrains. I have only put about 2000 miles on them, but some of the little fuzzys or still on them.

His wheels are definitely big, I would think they are 20s. I haven't found any definite info on the ratings for the toyo's, but it is possible that his are e rated because of the shorter sidewall, and that the 17" version would be d rated??.. not sure though.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:15 AM
savage.basher

4 wheel parts price matches though. If you get a good salesman you may be able to get them to match the $325 price and then still give you the promotional shipping rate of $89.95 .

Quick Reply: tire research question