Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

OT: Bow Hunting

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:26 PM
refloyd
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Bow Hunting

What bow do you use? And do you use a release or fingers? Also what kind of arrow rest do you use?

I just bought a Matthews LX with a Whisker Biscuit and Toxonics Sight. I dont have a release yet and i need to get the draw length change. Also what arrows are the best for Deer hunting?

Old 06-01-2008, 04:20 PM
behindbars
Default RE: OT: Bow Hunting

Matthews Q2, Cobra release (15 years old), Whisker biscuit. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 06-01-2008, 04:24 PM
blownsoot

Diamond Rapture, Tru ball release, whisker biscuit.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would you hunt bow's. . .theres not alot of meat on them and are rather boney and stringy[8D]

/had to be the first with a smart *** answer
//rather use repeating weapons
///slashies are my friend

Old 06-01-2008, 05:04 PM
04QC4X4
Captain

I shoot a PSE bow and I think my release is a cobra. I'm not sure what brand my rest is. As for arrows, I think any good carbon shaft arrow with a good broadhead will do the job. I have been shooting the mechanical type broadheads, but I'm considering switching to a regular 3 blade setup.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:17 PM
tigzgz
Amateur

I shoot a bowtech General, just got with carbon express Maxmum shafts with 1.5 inch veins.
The rest is a trophy taker fall away. I do shoot a release, true fire. I forgot the name of it but it runs about 70-75 bucks. I shoot a mechanical broadheads. So far I have been happy with the set up. The sight has 4 pins fiberoptics. I sight them in for 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards. Haven't shot at a deer past 30 yards yet and probably wont. But for target to shoot 50 yards the rest is alot easier. If I remeber it shoots about 270 fps and is VERY quiet. Bowhunting is a TON of fun.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:23 PM
woligator
Record Breaker

303 semi-auto or my remington 870 pump 28'cannon fit the bill

string arent my friends

Old 06-01-2008, 09:59 PM
KenZ
Veteran

Haven't bow hunted in a few years as they clearcutted my hunting area and my huntin' partner moved to Houston. But my 3D/hunting bow is a Rytera Bullet X with cavalier rest and Toxonics micro adjust sight. I use a fletcher concho release, have for 25 years and 2213 aluminum arrows. Don't shoot it very much tho. For 4 months in the winter I shoot indoor leagues with a Martin Scepter lll nitrous-x shoot-thru (polished aluminum), golden key premier micro adjust rest, Sure loc 3 axis micro sight with 6 power scope, Posen stabilizers with v-bars, and 3L-18 ACC arrows. Its not weather I can hit the target at 30yds. but which dime size spot you want me to hit. But from April to December the one that gets the most use in my Bob Lee Signature takedown recurve or Lone Wolf Kayopo recurve. Have not mastered the recurve yet, but is alot more fun than a compound. And yes, I shoot wood thru the recurves.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:09 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: KenZ

Haven't bow hunted in a few years as they clearcutted my hunting area and my huntin' partner moved to Houston. But my 3D/hunting bow is a Rytera Bullet X with cavalier rest and Toxonics micro adjust sight. I use a fletcher concho release, have for 25 years and 2213 aluminum arrows. Don't shoot it very much tho. For 4 months in the winter I shoot indoor leagues with a Martin Scepter lll nitrous-x shoot-thru (polished aluminum), golden key premier micro adjust rest, Sure loc 3 axis micro sight with 6 power scope, Posen stabilizers with v-bars, and 3L-18 ACC arrows. Its not weather I can hit the target at 30yds. but which dime size spot you want me to hit. But from April to December the one that gets the most use in my Bob Lee Signature takedown recurve or Lone Wolf Kayopo recurve. Have not mastered the recurve yet, but is alot more fun than a compound. And yes, I shoot wood thru the recurves.
[sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif]

We bow to thee, O god of the Golden Shaft......

Haven't shot a bow in years, actually it's been.........2 decades......so I can't help ya.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:10 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

Mine'sa Hoyt Vulcan, Trophy Taker fall away, Scott Mongoose release, eXtreme sights with .019 pins, Easton carbon 340's (have several different models, love them all, but the Axis is probably my favorite) all with 3"QuikSpins,and I haven't found a favorite brand of broadhead yet, but I prefer un-banded mechanicals. When I worked at the gun store, I was also one of the Bow Tech's and found that I replaced a TON of fletchings on arrows that went through whisker biscuits. Plus I don't like the idea of the shaft being in contact with with rest for so long.With my fall away, it's only in contact with the shaft for about 2" once the release has been dropped. My accuracy personally is far better at 30 yards and up with the fall away.

Quick Reply: OT: Bow Hunting