Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

These stupid decals suck big time!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:26 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default These stupid decals suck big time!

I can not for the life of me install this stupid cummins bed decal!!!!!! This thing sucks! I tried it with the soapy water method and ruined yet another one. This one did not have as many air bubbles in it, but yes it still had plenty. And when I tried to squeeze them out with a squeegee, it put ripples in the vynil and ruin the decal. So now I've got one left and I'm trying to figure out how I can cut out the cummins logo and use it some place else on the truck.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:51 PM
jimmyshortz
Default RE: These stupid decals suck big time!

Have you tried foam window cleaner?

Old 06-05-2008, 07:16 AM
behindbars

Patience Bob, patience.

You'll never get all the air bubbles out. When you're all done just pop them with a pin and squeeze out the water like a zit. The holes disappear as soon as it gets in the sun.

Only use a drop of dish soap in a spraybottle of water. Mist down the truck and the back of the decal. (It also helps to make sure the masking tape on the top holding it all together is soaked too.) Get it positioned where you need it and start from the center and work your way out. Once you have good contact and its stuck, gently peel the masking tape off at as close to a 180 degree angel as you can. It may pull off the truck a little just go slow and reattach as you go.

My first one took me about 1/2 hour and the other side took about 10 minutes.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:23 AM
firemedic740
Veteran

I dont have any air bubbles in mine. I was having the same problem with the decal wrinkling when squeegying the water out. I ended up putting a horizontal piece of 2" tape horizontally across half of the decal and taping along the edges on the bottom half so it wouldn't move. I sprayed water and dish soap mix on the truck. I then cut the side stripes down to the horizontal tape with a razor and let them hang. Then I pulled the backing off the middle stripe and sprayed the back of the decal and cut off the backing. Placed the stripe where it needed to be and squeegeed the water from the center and worked my way up the decal. Now I squeegeed from the middle of the decal out. After that was done, I did the side stripes the same way, the cut marks where they were razored lined up perfectly. Squeegee the water out good and let them sit for a couple of minutes so the stick good to the truck, then pull off the front decal sheet- I found out the pulling at an angle, slowly with the the sheet almost touching the decal was easier. The bottom was done the same way but start from the center and work your way down. I used a hard plastic squeegee that is used for putting body filler(aka bondo)-bought em at walmart as a set of 3 for a couple of bucks but work great. Don't put too much dishsoap in the water or youll have a slippery mess- just a couple of drops. With me cutting the side stripes away from the center stripe the decal didn't wrinkle and the water squeegeed out of the decal a whole lot better. One mor advise is run the squuegee over the decal before pulling the backing off- the first time i tried it without and the letters stuck to the backing. Hope this helps.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:30 AM
behindbars

Or you could just take it somewhere and have it done. hehehe

Old 06-05-2008, 09:49 AM
halfdozenbuzzin
Professional

where are you guys getting your decals at? ebay? i might have to see how they look on mine.. it needs something to dress it up a bit

Old 06-05-2008, 10:14 AM
firemedic740
Veteran

I got mine from klingsdesigns a df member, you can also get em at harrelldesigns.com.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:29 AM
halfdozenbuzzin
Professional

just ordered a set from harrelldesigns.com.. thank you very much!! now hopefully the application goes smoothly

Old 06-05-2008, 10:42 AM
firemedic740
Veteran

Yeah, good luck. But have patience putting them on!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Mayfair
Legend

I was wondering how you were making out with those stripes Bob. Do you think that maybe it's a poor quality stripe and maybe that's why you're having problems?

Quick Reply: These stupid decals suck big time!