Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

How many mpg would it take to get rid of the oil burner and go compact

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How many mpg would it take to get rid of the oil burner and go compact

I'm less concerned with the MPG's, as I am with the gap cost between gas and diesel.

For example:

I was looking ppretty hard at a Scion XB last month that got 30mpg, twice as much as my Ram ( 15mpg ), howeverf with the gap between gas and diesel being only $1.00, by the time i finished insuring the XB I merely broke even. Therefore, I passed on it. Now then, if the gap widens to 1.50 or more, then I'll re-explore it again.

Ram-it - I got an email the other day with the air powered cars. they look VERY interresting !! I'd love to see one in person.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:26 AM
RamItOne
Default RE: How many mpg would it take to get rid of the oil burner and go compact

I requested an email packet from MDI regarding the car. They sell it in Germany for €10k so even if shipping is $10k that's still $25k for a car that gets virtually unlim mpg as electricity needed to run the compressor to fill the tanks would be dirt cheap. And besides 125 mile range is pleanty for 95%+ of my driving.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:49 AM
Mayfair
Legend

PLEASE let me know what you think of it when you get the package. I'm VERY interrested in that car. That little blue truck looks pretty cool too.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:12 AM
RamItOne

Lol yeah I saw the truck, makes a ranger looks beefy. Did I just compliment a ranger??? Ugh.

Hell to not have to pay for gas I'd drive around with bumperstickers ranging from - vote obama, ban guns, pro illegal immigration, fat chicks need love to. Haha.

They are also using CAT technology for emergency generators, fork lifts, and are looking to get them in city buses.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:10 PM
reed
Veteran

I've constructed a simple webpage to help answer the question of savings. Put your own values in and see what you'd save:

MPG Cost Comparison

Old 06-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Dude that's awesome !!

That pretty much sums up my problem. I might save about $300.00 a month, however once you factor in the added insurance cost ( about $110.00 a month ) and the cost of financing a car for 10K, there really is no savings at all.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:27 AM
reed
Veteran

Yup, unless your willing to part with your truck it just won't work out for most people. I was at a party the other night and someone started up the "I don't know how you can drive that truck" conversation. I asked what do you drive? They drove an FX35 which they say got 23 mpg hwy. So then I mention my much bigger truck gets 21 hwy!

One thing that does get my attention is the cost savings of driving a Honda Fit or Yaris etc. Driving 12K miles a year you'd save $10K in fuel over 5 years. I no longer actually need my truck, I used to have an trailer. But I know I'd miss the truck if I sold it.

MPG Comparison

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Dude that's awesome !!

That pretty much sums up my problem. I might save about $300.00 a month, however once you factor in the added insurance cost ( about $110.00 a month ) and the cost of financing a car for 10K, there really is no savings at all.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:10 AM
RamItOne

reed, haven't pulled the link as im on my iPhone.
One thing that should be factored, and I know its not as big of an issue for ctds vs gasserd, but the extended life (years) that your truck will get by not driving it so often.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:35 AM
Bigriver

ORIGINAL: RamItOne

but the extended life (years) that your truck will get by not driving it so often.
I hear ya. I'm averageing 35,000 miles per year. I really wouldn't put that on another vehicle, due to the truck pulling the 5'ver occasionally. But I'd have to say that I could save quite a few years of serviceability on my rig.
Besides, I don't want to rag it out by the time I pass it on to Mayfair!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:00 AM
RamItOne

yep, even typed up an example with numbers and of course got the post error.

Yer up pretty early, hope you're not DF'ng and runnin up the might miss. Watch out for the mooring cells.

Quick Reply: How many mpg would it take to get rid of the oil burner and go compact