Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

need info on why duracraps suck

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:54 AM
4x4fantasy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need info on why duracraps suck

me and triton are like oil and grease...triton has a fast truck.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:38 AM
RamItOne

yeah I was giving him crap about the v8 design and how the il6 is obviously a self stabilizing engine.

If tchevys are for racing, why does youtube only have cummins tearing up tchevys.

Yeah Chevys larger series use cummins, now ferds commercial series line has the option of cummins or cat.

I wonder how long of a contract dodge has with cummins. Now what would be a damn shame if/when toyo comes out with a 1 ton they get cummins to jump ship over to them. LOL.
But like I said before, toyo is holding off on 1ton market as its gone down over 70% over the last year.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:18 AM
reed
Veteran

When I went to the Cummins customer appreciation lunch at BlueBonnet Dodge in New Braunfels, TX, Cummins said they were committed to the Dodge relationship. However their plant has a capacity of 750 engines per day and is currently running at ~450 engines a day due to reduced sales of the 6.7. Obviously they need to sell closer to capacity.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:48 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

One problem with Duramax is how quiet it is. Everyone I know who has one complains about it and looks jealously at mine

The other issue isn't a Duramax problem but a Chuby issue....IFS need I say more?

Old 06-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Bigriver

I think that most everyone already knows this, but a Cummins has 30% less moving parts than a Duramax, the Cummins is better balanced and also doesn't have aluminum head as the Duramax does.

This falls under personal opinion, but I can't stand looking at seeing the frame underneath the chassis, and to top it off, a white manufature's label stuck on it. I always happen to see that.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:54 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

I've heard the injectors are pressed into the head.....so, if you want to remove them, you have to pull the whole head and then press the injector out. Then, you get to press a new one back in.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: lilfroger

One problem with Duramax is how quiet it is. Everyone I know who has one complains about it and looks jealously at mine

The other issue isn't a Duramax problem but a Chuby issue....IFS need I say more?
looks at your what?? the 1/2 ton you scoot to work in every day??? bwa hahahahaha

Old 06-09-2008, 08:57 PM
JR 06
Professional

ORIGINAL: BrianSudokhoi02

I've heard the injectors are pressed into the head.....so, if you want to remove them, you have to pull the whole head and then press the injector out. Then, you get to press a new one back in.
[align=left] [/align]
If thats true then that is riduculous and the engineer that thought of that should be shot. Injectors on diesels go out, it happens, so they should be relatively easy to get to. That reminds me of Volkswagens with how they completly seal up their transmissions-no dipstick tube, no pan, nothing. So something goes wrong, theres no rebuilding it, its getting R&R'd.

As far as problems with the Duramax. The early ones had an overheating issue IIRC. Aluminum heads and IFS of course. It has EGR, so you have to deal with that crap, and if its anything similar to a Ford the EGR valves constantly plug up, EGR coolers pop and let coolant into the cylinders, or the valves stick open and the truck won't run. And if you want to get the full performance out of the engine you have to figure out how to disable the valve without setting a CEL.

Quick Reply: need info on why duracraps suck