Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Warranty Repair Standoff

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Batphreak
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Warranty Repair Standoff

ORIGINAL: cgbirddogs

The air filter that I most recently replaced was manufactured by FRAM.
I have a feeling this is the big reason the dealership and Chrysler are denying your warranty. I'll bet Chrysler doesn't certify the FRAM filters as a "suitable" replacement for the MOPAR branded filter. Is it possible to get it covered under warranty by raising cain with the factory, maybe. Good luck, I don't think it'll be a fun ride.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Ben D.
Champion

still why are they saying the engine needs replaced? not making sense really at all.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Batphreak
Veteran

Since they're claiming the compressor blades are shiny and polished I'll bet they're thinking the engine has been "dusted" due to improper air filtration. Nice shiny compressor blades on the turbo are a good indicator of too much dust getting sucked into the engine, after that happens it's likely the rings are all gunked up on the pistons and it's time for an overhaul.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Ben D.
Champion

i see.... yea due to the use of a fram filter that may be the problem. fram air filters are not exaclty good quality and that may be why the dealership is being a pita.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:57 PM
04QC4X4
Captain

I have also had two turbos replaced under warranty, but no questions were asked about maintenance. I do all my own maintenance so I would have had no official record. I hate to hear that you are having problems. My second turbo was not really bad, but the dealer didn't figure that out until he replaced it. The first turbo they replaced (before I had the truck) was replaced and the turbine wheel was missing, and no one thought to look for it. I found it 20k miles later in the cat converter and it was clogging up the exhaust. The dealer thought the turbo was bad because the truck ran like crap, so they replaced it and it didn't help. That's when they told me the cat was bad and my best bet was to cut it off because they were on 2 month back order. I cut it off and found the problem was the piece of the turbo in the cat. The inside was shredded. Runs like a top now without the clogged exhaust. BTW I'm in Amarillo, TX (60 miles SE of Pampa) and took mine to All-Star Dodge. They were helpful and didn't make a fuss about anything.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:08 PM
outdoorluvr2

I will never buy another chrysler product just because of there lack of willingness to support there warranty. If you have a good product you should stand by it. I bought a 2007 dodge ram megacab diesel. It was my baby. I took very good care of it. I converted it to run on vegetable oil so I wouldnt have to rely on foreign fuels but of course that voided the warranty. Even tho it had nothing to do with the problem. Some bearings in the engine messed up and the rod siezed to the crankshaft. Of course they are blaming it on the vegetable oil and want 10000 bux to fix it. It only has 30000 miles! So now it sits in the shop with the engine out and me argueing for the past month. NEVER GONNA BUY CHRYSLER AGAIN! Which sux cuz thats all ive ever owned and the same goes with my family, and now they are turned off by them. 3 generations of dodge owners down the drain for a warranty fix. And they wonder why they dont have any business and are going under!

Old 01-13-2009, 10:00 PM
YAMAHARIDER5
Professional

Well as far as you running the vegi oil did you know it would void the warrenty? If you did know then doing it was a bad idea if you didnt know then i would have checked with the dealer first i know it didnt cause the problem with your truck but if you had not put the vegi system on your truck would be fixed for free. But anyway back to the original subject i wouldnt try taking it to another dealer becuase your vin number in their system id gonna be red flaged if they look it up at any dodge dealer so your kinda screwed their your best bet would be to file a law suit or lemon law even. hope it works out i know how you feel my truck has been down 6 months do to blown tranny.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by outdoorluvr2
I will never buy another chrysler product just because of there lack of willingness to support there warranty. If you have a good product you should stand by it. I bought a 2007 dodge ram megacab diesel. It was my baby. I took very good care of it. I converted it to run on vegetable oil so I wouldnt have to rely on foreign fuels but of course that voided the warranty. Even tho it had nothing to do with the problem. Some bearings in the engine messed up and the rod siezed to the crankshaft. Of course they are blaming it on the vegetable oil and want 10000 bux to fix it. It only has 30000 miles! So now it sits in the shop with the engine out and me argueing for the past month. NEVER GONNA BUY CHRYSLER AGAIN! Which sux cuz thats all ive ever owned and the same goes with my family, and now they are turned off by them. 3 generations of dodge owners down the drain for a warranty fix. And they wonder why they dont have any business and are going under!

Just some quotes from the warranty manual that came with your truck or can be downloaded at www.dodge.com
quote.
3.6 Other Exclusions
Your warranties don’t cover the costs of repairing damage or conditions caused by any of the following:
• fire or accident;
• abuse or negligence;
• misuse — for example, driving over curbs or
overloading;
• tampering with the emission systems, or with
a part that could affect the emission systems;
• use of used parts, even if they were originally
supplied by DaimlerChrysler (however, authorized
DaimlerChrysler / MOPAR remanufactured parts
are covered);
• windshield or rear window damage from external
objects;
• any changes made to your truck that don’t
comply with DaimlerChrysler ; or
• using any fluid that doesn't meet the minimum
recommendations in your Owner's Manual

3.3 Maintenance Costs Not Covered
Your warranties don’t cover the costs of repairing damage caused by poor or improper maintenance. Nor do they cover damage caused by the use of contaminated fuels, or by the use of fuels, oils, lubricants, cleaners or fluids other than those recommended in your Owner’s Manual

Warranty Limitations
DaimlerChrysler is not responsible for failures or damage resulting from what DaimlerChrysler determines to be abuse or neglect, including, but not limited to: operation without adequate coolants or lubricants; overfueling; overspeeding; lack of maintenance of cooling, lubricating or intake systems; improper storage, starting, warm-up, run-in or shut down practices; unauthorized modifications to the engine. DaimlerChrysler is also not responsible for failures caused by incorrect oil or fuel or by water, dirt or other contaminants in the fuel or oil.
Unqoute...

So let me get this right. You converted it to run on an unapproved fuel and now you want Dodge to fix it for free. When you converted it to run on an unapproved fuel, you took on the responsibility of all repairs. I have never seen a bearing in a CTD just fail for no reason. I work for a dealer but please don't think I am against you here. I just don't understand why you think it is OK to run an unapproved fuel and expect Dodge to foot the bill when a problem occurs..Let me ask you this, if you bought a clock at Wal-Mart that was designed to run on 2 AA batteries and you decided to modify it to run on AC to save on batteries, and it killed the clock, would you expect Wal-Mart to give you a new clock for free? You may be mad at Dodge, but you modified the vehicle to suit your desires and now you have to be responsible for it...

Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 PM
outdoorluvr2
Thumbs down chrysler warranty

As far as taking your truck to another dealer, when I called chrysler they said your allowed to take it to another dealer if you feel that dealership is giving you a wrong diagnostic, but as soon as you take it to another dealer and they say the same thing then you have to go to the district manager directly and plead your case. Let me know what happens. And as far as my vegetable oil system, I called Chrysler before I put it on and they told me as long as its not the cause it wouldnt be a problem. I SHOULD HAVE GOT IT IN WRITING! Chrysler should stand by there product! Plain and simple. Quit weaseling out of everything. They need repeat customers! And that stupid little clause in their warranty is BS! You can include pretty much anything in it. Bottom line. If Chrysler was proud of what they put out, theyd stand behing it, but instead they find anything they can not to repair thier faulty product! Bad business, and they dont care!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:39 PM
outdoorluvr2

in your analogy with the clock, you said the AC broke the clock, my UPGRADE on fuel, didnt have anything to do with it, two different things, and yes when I call first and they say "as long as the vegetable oil isnt the problem we will cover it" then they dont, it more than pisses me off! So yeah I do expect them to pay for it!

Quick Reply: Warranty Repair Standoff