Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Tranny Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:44 AM
cracker
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Questions

Hi guys. Has been kinda slow around here lately. I have not seen alot of the guys that are regulars anymore?? Anyway I am looking to do some tranny upgrades. I talked with the guys at Suncoast and got prices. Wow! Anyway I want to kinda do this in 2 steps. First vb and deep pan. Then maybe in the fall do tc and flex plate, maybe input shaft. Here is where my questions come.

The guy at Suncoast tells me on the phone that if I install his vb, the tc will be short lived due to the higher pressures to the tc. I talked with a local tranny guy that has owned a trans shop for 25 years and he pulled out the bs flag. He tells me that more than likely, that the vb is a stock vb with a transgo shift kit. He said the price was ok but as far as gernading my stock tc- BS! More power to the tc may damage it, but a the a well built vb should not. I know that Suncoast is known for their quality and I am not tring to rip on them at all, but they are in a buisness to sell parts. I know they would rather sell me a $1300 tc over a $500 vb. I also know that the guy I know has been doing trannys for more than 30 years and has retired and sold his shop. He has no reason to lie to me. Besides he knows I would kill him, lol. At the same time I dont want out in the middle of nowhere with the horses and be stuck!!

Anyway, anyone have any experiace with this? Steve didn't you have one of their vb's? I know you had to rebuild but was it due to the vb?? Did you upgrade to converter? Any info would be helpfull. I want to get it all done eventually, just hard these days to fork out all that cash at one time. Thanks in advance and sorry for being a stranger here lately.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:25 AM
triton
Record Breaker

sounds to me that you local shop is the one who full of it. Local shops typically have no clue what it takes to build and maintain our transmissions.

Suncoast has been a innovator in the industry as far as go fast parts and parts that last for over 10 yrs. your guy may have done it for 30yrs but, I bet not building 47/48RE that have the ability to transfer huge amounts of hp.

There is more to a VB job than a tran go shift kit. That's something a local shop would do as they don't know any better. The TC is going to be the first thing to go out. The VB only helps the truck shift better. The slipping will be in the TC and the stock TC isn't able to take a lot of abuse.

Believe who you will but, I'm here to tell you... they're wrong. If you want a trans that's going to last.... the cheap way isn't the way to do it. Suncoast couldn't care whether you buy from them or not. They're not trying to sell parts, they're trying to sell quality and longevity. They have plenty of clients and repeat business to not have to BS anyone into buying their product.

The price may have shocked you but, a fully built trans will run you 7K any where you go.... unless you go to your local shop. Then you'll be back over and over repairing what breaks.

If you want to be some what safe as you play.... you had better do the TC, VB and billet input.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:48 PM
cracker
Rookie

So Triton if you had to do it in 2 steps like I said I wanted to do, you would do the tc first, then vb later? I think what my trans man told me was accurate as you also said. More power will make the tc slip, not a improved vb. That was my question. Didn't make sence to me or my tranny man that a vb will make a tc gernade as the guy told me on the phone. Anyway, as I said all along I plan on buying suncoast products. Just wanted some clarification on that in particular. I dont think there prices are bad at all. Just with everything going on right now, would rather split it up by a few months. I am trying to do it right, just a few steps at a time. Get the tranny where it will hold some power so I can do injectors and turbo next.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:10 PM
triton
Record Breaker

Since the trans needs to be dropped for the TC install, you might want to do it and the input shaft at the same time. That way you won't have to drop it again. Then when you're able, the VB is only a matter of dropping the pan and pulling the VB to be worked on.

As you said.... the TC is what's going to give you the most trouble with the addition of more hp. That is the most important. The VB can wait as it will only improve your shifting. The input isn't necessary but, is good insurance. The output is easily changed with the trans left on the truck. The intermediate isn't as important either unless you plan on doing boosted launches in 4x.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:02 PM
mmstar23
Champion

so to build a tranny, not completly like your saying 7k, but decently to be able to handle a nice amount of power, but nothing crazy (as we talked about triton) could you get away with doing a TC and like your saying to do the input shaft at the same time, and later down the line do the VB (have no idea what that is). will that be able to hold a sufficient amount of power? or are there other things the need to be built up as well?

Old 08-08-2008, 02:13 PM
triton
Record Breaker

The 7K would be for a complete billet trans with a new TC and VB, clutch packs, tighter springs, upgraded shift lever, new gear band...etc .... the works. VB ( valve body ) - upgrading it will improving shifting and enable the truck to shift under high load.

The TC and input shaft will be the most important to handle added power.

Quick Reply: Tranny Questions