Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Urgent advice needed please

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:53 PM
41hill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent advice needed please

New here and need advice please. I have a 2006 ram with a 5.9 cummings. It has started idling rough, labor knocking and blowing white/gray smoke. Check engine lights not coming on but the strange thing is that it is saying I am getting 27 mpg when actually it is more like 9 or 10. I use this truck to make a living so any advice would be appreciated.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:39 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

How many miles? When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

Old 08-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Dokie
Rookie

You might want to make sure the overhead is measuring miles not kilometers.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:26 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

welcome to DF...

IIRC, there is a TSB out there for the smoking issue... what did the dealer have to say?

Old 08-14-2008, 06:37 PM
41hill

Dodge dealership in GA replaced two injectors for the tune of $1800. Was able to get the truck home and in the shop today. It has 180,000 miles. Dodge dealer said he was "guessing it was something internal" The person who normally works on it in my hometown says turbo boost sensor is broken. Maybe #6 injector failing also. Thinks the GA dealer broke the boost sensor while installing the injector. Says turbo is boosting over 100 lbs at idle. Any other ideas? Thanks

Last edited by 41hill; 08-14-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the dealer in GA you are referring to is our shop. It sounds strange that you are not getting any codes. If the boost sensor is not functioning, it should set a DTC. It seems if you were boosting over 100lbs then the intercooler would sustain major damage. What do you mean that the turbo boost sensor is "broken". You mean it is not working or it is physically broken into pieces? When our tech (Randy) said he thought it was something internal, he meant you need to take off the cylinder head to see if a piston was damaged. The "knocking" that you are hearing is indicative of a injector that has failed which results in a melted/cracked piston. If we had of broken your sensor, it should have show up immediately in the form of a trouble code. If you think we broke your sensor, call me and I will send you one free or charge. Cal me if I can help in any way. I am the guy at the dealer with the ponytail....... DAVID

Old 08-15-2008, 12:45 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I can only say one thing here. If David says that something is wrong and pin points it. iwould bet every gun I own that he is correct. I have had nothing but great advice from him and I can speak for two people I know personally that has had great advice from him. I was going to take my truck from Arizona to Georgia for transmission waruntee work if ever needed because I know it would be done right.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:26 PM
41hill

David, you are right and I remember you. My mechanic here said the boost sensor was broken and may have been broken when the #3 injector was installed. Who is to say when it got broken and he has one ordered. He said that would cause the turbo to go crazy. I don't know what the heck is going on and why it's not throwing codes. I drove it from your shop all of the way to Jonesboro, AR and still not a single code showed or any lights came on. It smoked like crazy all of the way home. The mechanic here said he wasn't able to see anything internally. I had him check that first because I was just going to get a new motor instead of putting anymore into this one. I will let you know what we figure out in case it happens again.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is anything you need, just let me know......

Quick Reply: Urgent advice needed please