Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New owner old questions on airfilter/programmers

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 06:27 PM
06diesel6spd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner old questions on airfilter/programmers

I have an 06 quad cab with a 6spd manual that is bone stock and wanted to know what cold air setup would work best? I was looking at the k&n setup for the dodge ram, also programmers? I was looking at one from "ppe" its called the excelerator with 3 modes to a max of 215hp and has a feature that saves your stock program incase you have to take it to the dealer. Also what exhaust setup would work best? Im looking to increase my mpg not looking to drag race the truck etc. Thanks for any advice and or help in my quest for a better running more efficient ram.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Lobes1985

I would stay away from the k&n, ive heard they fall apart when used on the cummins, s&b make a good setup or afe. Programmer wise the smarty is the best imho, and for exhaust you could do a 4 inch turbo back

Old 08-20-2008, 08:07 AM
JDub06MegaC

I have a 5" turbo back exhaust that I bought from Full Spectrum Performance on Ebay. ($330) You can get 4 or 5", muffler or no muffler. You can eliminate the cat or put it back, the kit comes with adapters. Next I installed an Afe Stage 1 setup. I used the stock elbows but took out the plastic baffle in between and installed an unused section of the 5" exhaust pipe so I have basically the same setup you'd get with the Stage 2. Also took out the silencer ring on the turbo. The turbo is LOUD. No programmer yet, considering a module soon.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:05 PM
06diesel6spd

Thanks for the replies, the AFE stage 1 or 2? which one will flow the best as im looking for mpg more than hp also our 06 ram hd does it already have a 4" or is it 3 and would 5" be overkill? Also the smarty jr or sr i have read about both so is one better or just more bells and whistles between them. Also I have seen were alot of owners here are also using the attitude programmer? its not cheap but a few seem to like it. and would a Banks high ram intake runner benefit me or is that for more of a modified setup etc. thanks in advance.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

Warning! once you start down this road you can't turn back it's addicting.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:20 PM
JDub06MegaC

Agree with Bass Hunter! It's addicting. I'm on Ebay every day looking for "stuff". As for the exhaust I think our 06's had 4". It actually measures less than 4 but whatever. A true 4" system is plenty I think, I just like the look of the 5" under the truck.
Also think the only difference in the Stage 1 & 2 is the Stage 2 comes with the intake tube, Stage 1 doesn't. Same filter, same flow. I saved a few $$$ by putting the 5" pipe in place of the baffle tube.
Can't help much on the tuners but I'll be watching to see what the veterans have to say.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:41 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

a lot of people swear by the smarty tuner, Most reputable is Triton. I have been in a truck with a hot boxed edge juice with attitude, for the money spent on it my Diablo sport gave the same performance and was a hell of a lot cheaper. Look at Tritons set up and he will guide you in the right direction. Again I went with diablo sport predator and loved it. Some disagree, some will agree.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:19 AM
06diesel6spd

Okay, AFE stage 2 is going on and 5" exhaust without muffler, ran into a guy that has a dually with the 5" exhaust and gutted cat, truck sounded good and was not loud or annoying etc. one item he had was a banks high ram and banks six gun and said that banks was the only intake and programmer to use. Anyone else feel this way as i see there is a ats intake setup and many programmers, I asked him about the extra expense of the banks and he stated there the best and you get what you pay for? Not trying to beat a dead horse but just want to make one purchase one time. : )

Thanks Mike

Old 08-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

Personally I think most of what your paying for with Banks is advertising. I'm not saying it's a bad product, I just think there is alot of other stuff just as good more reasonably priced. who else do you see in all the diesel mags with a 4 page advertisement?

Old 08-27-2008, 05:37 PM
mikesram
Professional
Default programmer ???

Reading alot on programmers that alot of you have or had, Has anyone heard anything good about the Hypertech MAX ENERGY? Just curious if it would be worth spending the money on one to see if it really does what they claim.

Thx

Quick Reply: New owner old questions on airfilter/programmers