Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

cat and muffler delete pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 06:55 AM
rootercycles
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cat and muffler delete pipes

All,

I know this subject has been addressed many times within this forum, but I need to know before I order the above pipes.
(1) Will the tail pipe smoke like a sled pulling truck? I want more exhaust, but I don't want to attract too much attention from law enforcement.
(2) How loud will this make my truck? If it sounds like a dragster, this too will attract attention from the police.
My truck is exempt from emissions testing here in NC, but I obviously could get in much trouble with these changes.

Thanks for your responses!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

You may want to start with just the muffler delete and go from there. I did the mbrp cat back on my truck and was happy with the results. It slighly lowered egt's. and I didn't loose my low end. I beleive if you remove both you may notice a little loss in low end performance but it will breath better on the high end.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:38 AM
rootercycles
Professional

how much louder is it? does it smoke like a train now?

Old 08-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

the only way it is really going to smoke alot is to add excessive fuel with a programmer or module. Mine doesn't really smoke much until I have my juice on level five with my foot in it. I did a flow thru muffler and kept the cat and it is alittle louder than stock but it doesn't bother me at all.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:49 AM
jhfrance
Default straight piped in NC

I'm running straight pipes in NC, and haven't had any problems. No smoke that wasn't already there. Its loud, but not so loud that you'll get pulled over for it. I think it sounds great. Though I did hang onto my DPF just in case I happened to get pulled and get an ERO. The worst that can happen is they say to fix it. So I say do it, but keep the DPF in the garage just in case. Cuz that thing is expensive if you have to buy a new one. Oh, contrary to what some have said, the in cab noise is not much more with it straight piped. Any other ?'s just ask.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:34 AM
rootercycles
Professional

does the muffler delete pipe you are using have a hanger? The ones that I have found don't have the hanger.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

I seriously doubt you need a hanger. You are replacing about 50 lbs. with 5 lbs. The stock muffler is heavy as hell.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:47 AM
cummins4198
Default 5-0 and delete kits

I'm an Officer in a large city and find it hard to believe that any officers other than the Highway Patrol would even know what a DPF is. In the 14yrs I have been here we have never had any training regarding vehicle maintance or what is require by state inspections. Most places just dont' have the time or officers to be messing with stupid stuff like that.

Quick Reply: cat and muffler delete pipes