Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

08' question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Leephigh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08' question...

I just bought an 08' 6.7 and didn't even make it home from the dealership before the check engine light came on. Fuel milage went down, along with power. When I turned the corner into my drive way, i just stuck it in 4th and lugged it a little. It started bucking and missing. the dealership brought me a different one to drive while they looked at mine. just wanted to know if this was the beginning of a never ending nightmare?

Old 08-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

Could be. Some guy's with the new motors have nothing but trouble others seem to have no worries. Seems to be luck of the draw. Good luck with your new rig. by the way alot of dealers give you a couple days to take it back after purchase for a refund.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:01 PM
miboy62
Rookie

I would not worry probably just something acting up from setting.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:49 AM
PhilD

I have narrowed my new truck selection down to two one being a Dodge 2500 mega cab 6.7 but I am kinda worried myself with the new motor and all. This post keeps me on edge, I do not want my new truck in the shop more than on the road. Hope all is well keep us informed.

Later
Phil

Old 08-25-2008, 03:52 PM
topglock2000
Default re: 08

I would get my money back and run. Have 07-nothing but problems from 3500 miles - this is no fix. In process of lemon law on my 07. Chrysler latest is they are blaming Cummings. I don't care who they blame, but I gave my money to Chrysler and that's whose going to write me a check. I hope through all my problems, that I can save one consumer from buying a new diesel from Dodge. Good Luck.

Warren, MI

Old 08-25-2008, 04:03 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I am VERY pro Dodge, obviously, but I posted this in another thread not too long ago (might have been in the CTD section) I play golf with the GM & Service MGR of a local Dodge dealership. I was told by the svc. mgr. that if I was looking for a CTD, to buy a recent 5.9 if I was serious about wanting to go back to a diesel.
The GM told me that he has "lemon lawed out" more 6.7 CTD's (remember, they didn't debut until '07) than ALL other Dodge trucks combined in his 11 years as a GM at two separate Dodge dealerships.
I also used to do computer work for an entire county govt. system in Ga. and one of the cities in that county bought two last year, largely based on the lack of problems in their couple of 5.9 CTD's they've had for a few years. They are both sitting on a lot in the city with CEL's. The dealer can't fix and the city mgr. will not allow them to be used with a CEL. So they sit, waiting for a PCM update Chrysler is supposedly working on.
I hate to sway anybody from a Dodge purchase, I've loved my '98 5.9 & '04 Hemi, and I firmly believe the 5.9 CTD is the class of all light truck diesels, but I think they need time to get the bugs out of the 6.7...

Old 08-25-2008, 11:52 PM
BiggBlu601
Veteran

iv seen this quite a few times. I personally havnt had any problems with my 07 6.7l. iv got about 10k on it and my check light came on just 1 time around 4k when it threw a code and i had an oxygen sensor recall. Iv towed trailers with 4 wheelers and mowers and what nots and had no problems. I thought about trading it in once but the deal was horrible so i decided to keep it. I ordered an intake for it from S@B and it kicks alot of azz. I plan on keeping this truck for alot of years to come and it seems there are more and more products comin out for the 6.7. If ya can find a nice used 5.9l i would say get it cause its alot more reliable but hopefully yours has just a few minor things and that your local dealer can fix it.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:05 PM
BigBoreFan

Leehigh,

This is my first post on this site. I listened to my wife 8 years ago and I purchased a Silverado over a diesel pickup. We moved and bought property and I needed a better way to haul my tractor and our two kids, so a new pickup was in order. I have been watching the prices of disel pickups drop in my area (Virginia) for the last three months.

Two weeks ago, I sold my Silverado and I went to buy a pickup. I went to a dealership that sells all of the majors and I spent a day looking at trucks. I had an excellent salesman and he took a lot of time. I noticed there were some great sticker prices on 08 Dodge diesels. I almost purchased an 08 2500 quad cab with a man. 6 speed, but my salesman found a trade on the computer that came in the night before at another brand's lot. We found the pickup, an 07 Dodge 2500 quad cab with the 5.9 engine. The truck was in the service department going through routine checks and I got to go in and talk to three diesel mechanics. The mechanic advised me he liked the 5.9 better than all the diesels. I ended up getting this truck with 17k miles. The salesman even told me to pick this engine. After reading info. on the problems with the 6.7, I feel lucky.

Quick Reply: 08' question...