Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

its falling apart !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:20 PM
ips2003
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation its falling apart !!

Hi anyone,

I have a 2003 HD 2500 W/ cummins. 74000M, just informed by my mechanic that both universals, drivers side upper and lower ball joints, and one tie rod end are on their way out. This truck has never been off road. oh dont let me forget that the muffler just rusted out and the tail pipe is now hanging. WTF!!!! $40K heavy duty truck w/ junk parts. Does anyone else these problems? A general contractor I know had a 2003 and at 136K both axles were shot and the tranny was well on its way. He got rid of it, after 25 years of them, he went to a Ford. This is my first and very well could be my last.

They put a engine in these trucks that will run forever, but the rest of it is falling apart brfore the motor really gets broke in. Is there more like this?
I appreciate any responses Thanx in advance

Old 08-27-2008, 10:27 PM
justviper1
Veteran

dodges are known for ball joints going bad! Mine did and it only had 56000 on it. as far as exhaust most people put aftermarket on way before theirs breaks. transmissions are also a weak link in dodges but if they are upgraded properly then they can be pretty good and last well. mine is almost due for a tranny overhaul and upgrade now at 67000.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:12 PM
SpLaT
Captain
Red face

ips... is your truck stock? Hard to believe all the balljoints, tie rods and U-joints are all gone if truck only sees pavement? Do you have a lift and run larger tires? Upper ball joints are weak yes, usaully the first to go, poor design on AAM's part not DC. Do you perform regular maintenance on your truck, like greasing the tie rod end? The muffler is heavy!!! Too heavy, could be worse, GM likes to crack/break exhaust manifolds!

Contractor's truck....key word here "contractor" can you say truck abuse ...daily? Gauranteed abused, palin and simple. For every truck that someone calls junk/crap or what ever name... there are 100s more that love their trucks ford GM and DODGE! There are many guys hauling big loads on stock trannies getting 200k - 400k plus miles with no problems.

If you play you pay...you abuse you pay, treat it right and you'll get great service form your truck!!!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:30 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

My truck 75K miles by Monday. Drivers side ball joints are getting close to the end of their life, no universal joint issues as of yet, trans is still solid. I did just replace the front pinion seal ($13 for part and $40 labor). IDK, trucks of all brands have their issues these days. It is because of the bean counters running American manufacturing. The '04 Ford truck I traded for this truck was riddled with troubles, transmission, turbo, egr 2x, ebp, recalls, reflashes (too many to count). Other drive their Ford's of the same year with no troubles. I know guys that beat their Dodge trucks daily and have no issues. Fix your issues and move on. If you trade it or sell it now you will take a blood bath loss. I bought my wife a brand new 2004 Toyota minivan and they have a good rep right? WRONG, that thing is a POS! I hate it and Toyota will have a hard time ever selling me another car. Good luck.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:57 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are all maintance items that are designed to wear out. Ball joints and tie rod ends DO NOT last forever. Just like brake pads and wiper blades, these things have to be replaced. Your truck is 5 years old, things are going to wear out. To compare your truck to someone else's truck is not a fair comparision. I have a truck with 349,xxx miles on it and it has never had a problem except for the normal things that wear out on any truck.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:28 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

nothing lasts forever... as Parts mentioned these are all parts that will wear out. at 130K+ miles moving parts are going to be showing some wear.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:48 PM
Watermelon
Captain

And of coure there are some that can tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer, Driving habits,driving habits,driving habits, get the point

Old 08-31-2008, 02:48 PM
dasnake
Veteran
Default just my opinion

sitting here reading this i checked my maintenance book, i found with 35,000 kilometers, about 21,000 miles, i have performed four oil changes, four fuel/air cleaner changes, three tire rotations, and one tranny service at 21,000 kilometers. the truck is an '07 ctd, dually, long box, 3500. the cummins/dodge has been pulling over six tons for three and a half months steady now and has not missed a beat, i have done to many mods to name but i expect this to be the last truck i own, do i expect things to break, yes, but that would happen with anything, good luck with your truck, i think you have gotten some good advice here.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:32 PM
ips2003

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all input to this thread. I do understand that parts do wear out, but come on. How come these parts don't have grease certs in them anymore? I am the sole driver of this truck, never been off the road, did get stuck last winter right in the middle of the road because I was running 65K tires and the snow was aboiut 18" deep. This truck is completely stock. regular oil/filter changes, air filters, tire rotation, tranny service ect. I was told by a guy that I would get a million miles out of the motor but would probably eat up 4 or 5 trannies. I do pull 16' job trailers from site to site but I do take care of it. I have already replaced those parts and hope things will stay together. I guess I just needed to vent a little

thanx again Mike

Old 09-01-2008, 04:41 PM
SpLaT
Captain

I almost forgot... spend so much time on gravel roads and goat trails... forgot about potholes and pavement cracks, city/town streets almost as bad as off roading! Hit enough of these and front end ain't gonna last either...nature of the beast! As for grease zereks next time around replace em with Moog joints they are greasable and supposedly have lift time warranty, just gotta pay for labour.

Quick Reply: its falling apart !!