Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Torque Converter Shutter/Shimmy at lockup

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 04:31 PM
SilverDollar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Converter Shutter/Shimmy at lockup

I love this forum and all the genuine sharing of information. Great reading and always helpful. I have a problem however, that I'm not sure has been covered. If so, point me in the right direction.

I've only had this truck a couple months. 175K miles. I've just had the TC and AT rebuilt. My problem is when the TC lockups at approx. 45-50MPH, if I try to hold that speed in traffic(just above lockup RPM) I get an obvious shutter or shimmy. If I decrease or increase RPMs it smooths out. If I turn off the OD it also runs smooth again at the higher RPM. I had this problem before the AT rebuild. I thought it was part of the wore out tranny. Guess not.

I've read the posts about the TC shifting back and forth, but I don't think my problem is the same (or is it?). I just got the gooseneck installed and used it to haul a Farmall 560 to a local plow day this weekend. For the first time, I also experienced the TC unlocking briefly as described by others. But my previous shutter problem is totally different than this event.

Sorry if this is a newby question. Is this shuttering at lockup something unique to me or is this the same shifting problem described by others dealing with the electrical interference of the TC locking and unlocking or a need for a new APPS? Any suggestions are appreciated. If I can figure this out, I've got this truck running strong and lookin' good!

SilverDollar

Old 09-15-2008, 08:21 PM
DODGEIT105
Rookie

What transmission fluid was put in it. Yours being a diesel 99' I'm not sure what is required whether it is ATF+3 or ATF+4. Some shops try to make these Dodge trannys run on either Dexron or if it requires ATF+4 they try to make it work on ATF+3 with a package additive as well. Sometimes it works but most of the time it doesn't. These Dodges are pecuiliar and revolt when the wrong fluid is used. Determine what fluid was used and go from there.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:47 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure the TQ was rebuilt? Sounds like converter clutch shudder. The converter clutch tries to apply but it slips, grips a little then slips. Usually caused by high mileage or old converter clutches. Do you still have a warranty on the build?

If the lockup solenoid was intermittent (cycling on/off) it would probably feel more like a jerk, not a shudder.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:27 PM
justviper1
Veteran

also make sure to check all of the grounds on the truck and make sure they are all clean. If they are dirty it can cause a condition similar to this.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:51 AM
SilverDollar

Thanks for the replies. I didn't get an owners manual with it. What is the correct trans. oil for a 1999 automatic?

Old 09-16-2008, 08:18 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id run atf+4 regardless.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:50 AM
daviscuda

Did they rebuild your valve body? I had a similar problem with mine, and after it was rebuilt it did the same thing it did before. So AAMCO did a little research and found that the valve body needed a little rebuild also. Good Luck

Old 11-18-2008, 09:22 AM
burf11

Might want to check this out. I have a problem with mine cycling under no load at around 50-55 right after the TQ converter locks. I have been looking at allot of different things and found this helpful. I am still troubleshooting mine but I think this is the right direction.

http://www.gearsmagazine.com/images/issues/7_2006/2006_07_04.pdf

Old 11-18-2008, 09:23 AM
burf11

subscibe

Quick Reply: Torque Converter Shutter/Shimmy at lockup