Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New Guy Needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 07:47 PM
DieselGuy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy Needs Help

I just purchased a Kats circulating coolant heater. The directions that came with it are crappy at best. I'm not sure how to go about installing this thing. Can any one help me with this and explain to me. I concider myself fairly mechanical, however, this is confusing the crap out of me.

Thanks in advance.
Kevin

Old 11-10-2008, 08:55 PM
IC Smoke

what year truck is this going on?

Not sure why you want a circulating coolant heater since your truck has a block heater (coolant heater) on it already? If you have a 3rd gen and NO cord go to napa or dodge and pick up a cord... the heater had a cap on it right next to the oil filter . Unscrew that and screw on your cord end and bingo you have a coolant heater (block heater)

Ian

Old 11-12-2008, 02:07 AM
SpLaT
Captain

In some climates a circulating heater is far better then a simple block heater. I have the Espar circulating coolant heater runs off diesel has builtin timer, in -40deg F weather, I have a warm engine and interior with-in 1hr.

As for the "Kats" heater not sure of the set up but, if its one of those inline crculating heaters, you need to determine direction of flow on the heater/pump itself then once thats figured out you should install it on the "heater hose" going to the cab and in the direction of flow.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:48 AM
garrettg84
Rookie

Originally Posted by SpLaT
In some climates a circulating heater is far better then a simple block heater. I have the Espar circulating coolant heater runs off diesel has builtin timer, in -40deg F weather, I have a warm engine and interior with-in 1hr.

As for the "Kats" heater not sure of the set up but, if its one of those inline crculating heaters, you need to determine direction of flow on the heater/pump itself then once thats figured out you should install it on the "heater hose" going to the cab and in the direction of flow.
-40deg weather, man am I glad I live in Florida. Where are you when you have -40deg weather and have to wait an hour to let your truck warm up???

Old 11-13-2008, 11:09 AM
SpLaT
Captain

Where are you when you have -40deg weather and have to wait an hour to let your truck warm up???
I'm Santa's next door neighbour, I don't idle my truck for an hr to warm it up, never let it idle anything longer then 10mins, not good for diesels! I have an ESPAR heater, it runs of diesel and small amount of power from truck batteries, it heats and circulates the engine coolant at minus -40 it will heat the truck up. with out having to plug it in. work in remote areas in the far north where they maybe no place to plug in block heater.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:39 PM
YAMAHARIDER5
Professional

and why is it bad to let diesel idle longer than ten minuets never heard that one?

Old 11-16-2008, 08:34 PM
SpLaT
Captain

"I" personally never let my truck idle any longer then 10mins, its not good to idle for extended periods, because cylinders don't get hot enough for complete combustion. Especially harder on 3rd gen common rails due to fact of the many injection sequences. Because cylinders aren't getting hot enough fuel builds up as carbon on the injector tips and causes them to plug off and/or gets by the piston and rings down into the oil. Even with the high idle set I've never see anything higher then 325 deg F (pyro in the manifold) really should be around 400deg to keep things right. JMHO