Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

To 6.7 or not to 6.7...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:22 PM
rumpumpkin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To 6.7 or not to 6.7...

...that is the question! Shakespearan qoutes aside, have they fixed most of the issues on these things yet? I've been shopping used for a few years now, and can't seem to find the exact truck I'm looking for. For the record, I'm pretty picky and envision my truck a certain way in terms of color (red or blue), model (3500, QC, SB, SRW), and options (supplemental side-air bags, 4:10, etc). So needless to say I'm probably not a good fit for a used vehicle.

I've read all the forums, and have heard both pros and cons regarding the 6.7. Don't do well with sporadic use or in-town driving (that's me), poor MPG, not open to modifications, etc. Being in California, I don't think removing the DPF and EGR would be a good idea. For most of my needs, a gasser would be fine. However, I tow a 10,000lb travel trailer about 12x year, and also like the better MPG overall when compared to a gasser. I could do without the power upgrades (I have musclecars for that), and could probably stand a few MPGs worse than the 5.9 (just has to be better than a gasser). But what I really don't want is to have my truck in the shop for issues because 90% of my driving is in-town or unloaded.

And the biggest reason for me asking this question now is because the local dealers are knocking about $16k (yes, you read that right) off of 2008 Ram Heavy Duties. That's a $50k Ram, Laramie, 3500, QC, SB going for $34k.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:01 PM
BiggBlu601
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love mine and my 6.7. i have been lucky so far and havnt had any major problems with it. I have had 1 emissions light come on on me and had to take it to the dealer for that. Other than that i have towed and drove alot around with it. My mpg was poor about 13 when i first had it but now that iv put some more miles on it its slowly crawled up to 15 mpg. I know its not great but i still love the overall truck. If i had to go back i might look into gettting a 5.9 cause there easier to mod but if you can get a brand new truck like that for that kinda price i would say it worth it in my mind. just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: To 6.7 or not to 6.7...