Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Which tuner/reprogrammer is right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with your quest for black smoke i would say the smarty. You need boost,egt, and fuel pressure to get started.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:54 AM
scatpack_69
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smarty is bad!! Trust me! You can have it set as mild as you want, or as wild as you want. Id guess 80-90% of the highest horsepower CRs in the country (world even) are running Smarty programming.

If you only want a couple gauges (like a triple pod) Id say your 3 most important gauges to have are EGT, trans temp, and boost. You could even ditch the boost gauge and go with fuel pressure. The reason I left fuel press. out of the first 3 is because you have an 06. The lift pump is better than the 03-04, and is better than the 05 even. Your fuel press. WILL drop with Smarty set to kill, but 9 times out of 10 it probably wont drop it too far. I still have my stock lift pump, and Ive had Smarty on kill for 2 years, no problems.

Ideally, you would want EGT, boost, trans. temp, fuel press., and a rail press. gauge. Those are the basic gauges you need to monitor to diagnose any potential problems you may get.

Im running EGT, boost, and trans temp right now, but the EGT gauge hasnt worked in over a year. Im fixing to switch over to different gauges, and then Ill have EGT, trans temp, boost, fuel press, rail press, and oil press. I may add a couple others later, like drive press and a second boost gauge when I get twins...