Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Which tuner/reprogrammer is right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 04:41 PM
tn_diesel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which tuner/reprogrammer is right for me?

Ok I have an 06 auto 4x4 diesel and i want to tune it up a bit soon but need help picking the best tuner. Now i know everything thinks theirs is the best, but it might not be right for me. So far I like the edge juice with attitude the best, i want to be able to moniter my egt's, boost, etc. and on the fly adjustments. It also has a built in turbo timer so i def want that. currently i have the banks air intake with super scoop, and am about the add the banks monster single exhaust. I also really want to be able to have a lot of black smoke as thats always fun and a crowd favorite. What do i need to buy for all of this, o and i dont plan on upgrading the tranny any time soon so nothing too too crazy. thank you

Old 12-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

The Edge juice with attitude is a good choice if you don't plan on doing transmission upgrade soon. I would not run it above level 3 much or you will be doing tranny upgrades sooner than latter. I say its a good choice if you don't already have a full gauge set because it comes with them. It will also defuel for temp, egt and over boost. there is also a setting to defuel when the auto tranny shifts.

The Smarty from mads will give you more power than the edge but does not have any of the safety features. It also does not have gauges so a full gauge set is mandatory. There is also a Smarty pod now that allows changing settings on the fly.

They also have a smrty JR. for people not planning to do as much to their trucks.

I currently have the edge w/attitude and love it. when I can afford a new built tranny I will be adding the Smarty to my edge.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:42 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Id say go with Edge Juice w/ Attitude. You can get a hot unlock code that gives you a 6th setting for when you want to play.

Bass Hunter, Smarty by itself makes more power than it and Edge Juice stacked together. Ive yet to see a dyno graph that showed a gain with the two, theyve all lost upwards of 50hp or more...

Old 12-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

I'll have to look into that. There was a member that used to be here and he had that combo and loved it. If I have to sell the edge in the future oh well. Gotta pay to play. The nice thing about the smarty is the ability to just add fuel and not timing since the edge already adds the timing.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:51 PM
tn_diesel

any way to black smoke it with the edge juice?

Old 12-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

It will blow some black smoke when you get on it. It will really blow some with the hot unlock code. If you want to shut down an intersection you might want more.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:05 PM
tn_diesel

how do i get more?

Old 12-14-2008, 06:06 PM
tn_diesel

any way to install a smoke switch on an 06 with the edge juice installed?

Old 12-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

you can get the smarty put it on the highest setting and blow all the smoke you want. Your tranny just wont like it much. I don't know if you can do a smoke switch on a 3rd gen.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:50 PM
tn_diesel

ok so for my situation, would a smarty or smarty jr be better...money not an issue, also which gauges should i get with the smarty?