Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Elevated Boron in oil analysis

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:01 AM
lesimon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elevated Boron in oil analysis

Has anyone else noticed elevated Boron PPM in their oil analysis while using Shell, Rotella 15W40 conventional oil recently.
Sample 1) 1 ppm
2) 2 ppm
3) 4 ppm
4) 1 ppm
5) 1 ppm
6) 25 ppm
7) 27 ppm
After doing some research I found that this could indicate a coolant leak or it could also be an additive in the oil. Can anyone tell me if it is indeed an additive included in the oil.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:25 PM
SmilingDon

I don't know the answer to your question, but the company that did my oil analysis would indicate what the normal ranges were for a given element base on the engine and the brand of oil.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

Mine has never been higher than 3, using Amsoil DEO 5W-40. When yours jumped up to 25, was that the first analysis after you switched to Rotella?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:10 PM
bekim
Professional

Yes, I read that at the Faq on Blackstone Labs site some time back. Some labs include warnings if any readings seem abnormal. Did your report have any comments at all?

Mike
###

Old 01-08-2009, 08:47 PM
SpLaT
Captain

Boron is an detergent additive and a anitfreeze inhibitor (meaning it protects metal part from the anitfreeze to a point)
Some oil makers have increased the amount of Boron in their additive packages.
I would be more concerned with the amount of fuel, anitfreeze and/or water that might be showing up in the oil samples.

Other real concerns would be the wear indincators such as:
-Aluminum
-Chromium
-Iron
-Copper
-Lead
-Tin
-Molybdenum
-Nickle
-Maganese
-Silver
-Silicon

I wouldn't worry too much about the Boron, as there are a number of companies offering a boron additive packages for commerical and private users. As it has other then the antfeeze inhibiting property it also aids in coating the metals. Making things a little more "slippery".

Quick Reply: Elevated Boron in oil analysis